Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Steam & Excursion > Some Railroads Simply Operated With Plenty Of Clutter!

Date: 02/14/18 03:58
Some Railroads Simply Operated With Plenty Of Clutter!
Author: LoggerHogger

The business of shortline steam railroading in the 1940's meant you rarely through away much discarded material because you simply may need to use it again in the future. The Valley & Siletz Railroad of Hoskins, Oregon was one such railroad that followed this philosophy.

Here we see V&S 90-ton Baldwin 2-8-2 #57 parked in the Hoskins yards in June 1949. She is surrounded by discarded items and materials that operators feel just may come in handy again one day.

The operators may have been right. The V&S lingered on in operation until 1978. Those spare parts must have come in handy over the years.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/18 04:07 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 02/14/18 08:15
Re: Some Railroads Simply Operated With Plenty Of Clutter!
Author: asheldrake

neat photo Martin....maybe we are missing an opportunity.....boneyard visitor tours at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center......Arlen

Date: 02/14/18 09:03
Author: EMDSW-1

And I'll bet the V&S Master Mechanic knew the location of EVERY part in the yard.

Dick Samuels

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/18 09:03 by EMDSW-1.

Date: 02/14/18 11:29
Author: LarryDoyle

Looks like my workbench.

-John

Date: 02/14/18 16:23
Author: wingomann

One day when I was working crew on the Niles Canyon Railway I was talking to a young pasenger about the railroad. He was asking lots of questions about how we built the ROW and railyard. Some questions were pretty good, some made me smile but when we got to Brightside Yard I had a hard time to keep from laughing out loud when he asked "how did you scatter all the parts and miscellanious junk around to make it look like a real railroad yard?" I told him that we didn't do it on purpose. That's just what happens when you are dealing with parts that big and heavy. Parts just sit where they land until we can put them to use again.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds