Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Lousy Day In December, 1979... weatherwise, anyway

Date: 03/13/18 08:40
A Lousy Day In December, 1979... weatherwise, anyway
Author: MaryMcPherson

Lousy weather, but I would have been happy to be riding shotgun with George Redmond on December 28, 1979, as he shot Crab Orchard & Egyptian 2-8-0 #17 working a piggyback train from Marion to Ordill, Illinois.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 03/13/18 08:41
Re: A Lousy Day In December, 1979... weatherwise, anyway

A couple of more shots of #17 nearing and arriving at Ordill.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 03/13/18 09:52
Author: Keystone1

Mary, I spent one day of my life shooting #17. So, what ever happened to her? Where is she? Is she done?

Date: 03/13/18 10:02
Author: CPRR

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mary, I spent one day of my life shooting #17. So,
> what ever happened to her? Where is she? Is she
> done?

On the afternoon of September 8, 1986, the #17 was out switching coal hoppers when the dry-pipe inside the boiler suddenly collapsed and indefinitely put the engine out of service unless another major overhaul could be performed on it. The CO&E Railroad's fame of pulling common carrier freight trains, including intermodal piggyback cars, with a steam locomotive finally came to an abrupt end due to this incident. The incident also marked the end of an era for American-wide railroading in general.

As it was, the railroad had been preparing for the post-steam era. The arrival of the diesels was evidence to this. #17 had been in service for seven years, and was approaching a federally mandated overhaul. The major work that would have been required was the replacement of the tubes and flues running from the firebox to the smokebox in the boiler. The withdrawal from service of #17 for the required overhaul would have marked the end of her career, as there was no plan to overhaul #17 when its flue time ran out.

Since it was no longer in operating condition, the #17 was eventually sold on February 9, 1987 and later transferred to the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad in Boone, Iowa to be used for historic display purposes where it remains today

Date: 03/13/18 10:30

This is #17 as she looked in 2012. I stopped by Boone on my way from shooting the BNSF on Crawford Hill to shooting Little River Railroad #110 in Coldwater, Michigan. Boone made a good place to stay the night. Seeing the first locomotive I cab rode sitting in this condition was rather like visiting an embalmed loved one at the funeral home.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 03/13/18 11:21
Author: refarkas

True treasures.
Bob

Date: 03/13/18 14:49
Author: RailRat

Great Photos Mary!
Lousy weather always = great steam photos!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/18 14:53 by RailRat.

Date: 03/13/18 14:51

What a shame. Does anyone have a picture of her in Canada with the side skirts on her running boards?

Date: 03/13/18 15:12

Yes.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 03/13/18 15:16

Ha, ha, ha! Couldn't help it!

Here are three photos of #17, before she received the running board skirts and after getting them.

#1. This photo was undated, but is between her construction in 1940 and photo #2.

#2. This photo was taken by Howard Pincus in July, 1943, and shows #17 after her cosmetic additions.

#3. This photo was taken after #17 was put in standby service, but before she was sold to John Thompson and brought to the U.S. She is seen here at Arvida, Quebec in September, 1966.

And there you have the REST of the story! Or at least part of it.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 03/13/18 17:12
Author: Tominde

I think that's the first time I've ever seen pics of 17 like that. As they say on ebay "rare". Great thread.

Date: 03/13/18 20:08

Thank you so much Mary. I thought that there was only 1 version of #17 with skirts. Hummmm. Glad I saw her in steam, for one day of my life.

Date: 03/13/18 20:13

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4374053,4374652#msg-4374652

Here's a link to the video I posted of the film the 12 year old me shot of #17 in 1985.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 03/14/18 03:53

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10
> ,4374053,4374652#msg-4374652
>
> Here's a link to the video I posted of the film
> the 12 year old me shot of #17 in 1985.

Like! A true treasure!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 03/14/18 04:03

Couldn't help but notice the CO&E logos on most if not all the trailers on flat cars, did they own thier own TOFC businesses too?

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 03/14/18 04:28

RailRat Wrote:
> Couldn't help but notice the CO&E logos on most if
> not all the trailers on flat cars, did they own
> thier own TOFC businesses too?

Yes. The CO&E developed their piggyback business as a way to serve local customers that were not located on line.

Ironically, the Staggers Act that deregulated the industry killed the CO&E's piggyback business. The Class Is transitioned away from local piggyback ramps (ICG's here at Carbondale handled 500 trailers a month at its peak) to the hub and spoke system they use now. Union Pacific discouraged the local piggyback traffic, opening their hub in the East St. Louis area.

By 1983, the CO&E's piggyback service was pretty much dead.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds