Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Steam & Excursion > How Could We Ever Have Thought That We Would Lose This Line?!

Date: 03/15/18 03:13
How Could We Ever Have Thought That We Would Lose This Line?!
Author: LoggerHogger

The recent news that the Manitou & Pikes Peak Cog Railway will not open this spring and may never open again took most all of us by complete surprise. The news in fact came as a shock to anyone familiar with the line.

The cold news was announced in this brief statement:

"After 126 years of operation, The Pikes Peak Cog Railway has decided not to reopen this spring for the 2018 season, or for the foreseeable future. Over the past several months, the railroad has undergone a major evaluation and it has been determined that the infrastructure and equipment has run its course. The railroad is in the process of determining next steps and action plans for the future."

How could this be? For this was the line that hosted the very first excursion of the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club. (Seen in the last 2 photos) This line was famous all over the world for it's grades and spectacular views.

We can only hope that something changes and the railway can open once again in the future. Maybe it will take a new owner, who knows. This is not only a piece of Colorado railroad history but North American railroad history as well.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/18 03:23 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/15/18 05:31
Re: How Could We Ever Have Thought That We Would Lose This Line?!
Author: BAB

They have Steam preserved by the NPS I think, why not this? Yes it will cost money but it had to make something to keep it going by private enterprise up until now. So it would not be a complete burden for the state to maintain using a private vendor. If ever I get down that way its on my list even as my time gets shorter. Boyd in Chiloquin PS there is no getting up before you Martin, one would just have to stay up all night. LOL

Date: 03/15/18 07:55
Author: hkyman16

Very unfortunate to lose this. I had the fortunate chance to go up the line a couple of years ago. Unearthly views from the top. It was a great ride. Let's hope this landmark gets saved.

Date: 03/15/18 19:03
Author: PlyWoody

Has anyone ever seem a profile of the entire 9.8 miles? What a shame, and they have a active steam locomotive, Vulcan Compound, I think only Vulcan active in North America.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds