Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Steam & Excursion > Breaking News! --- Mill Valley To Get Her Heisler Back!

Date: 03/16/18 05:11
Breaking News! --- Mill Valley To Get Her Heisler Back!
Author: LoggerHogger

I just received word that when the bids were opened in Scotia last night, the Mill Valley Historical Society was the winning bid for the Heisler and other logging equipment.

This means the former Mount Tamalpais & Muir Woods RR #9 will be returning to Mill Valley to be put on display in the town where she used to work. Well done. Mill Valley.

Martin

Date: 03/16/18 05:33
Re: Breaking News! --- Mill Valley To Get Her Heisler Back!
Author: dmaffei

I knew they wanted it. Congrats to Mill Valley. I know Bill Provines is smiling down from above on the idea.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1846412,1846412#1846412

Date: 03/16/18 08:23
Author: wingomann

Great news! It's too bad they can't rebuild the railroad.

Date: 03/16/18 08:33
Author: ATsf2921-4-8-4

WELL THAT'S GOOD NEWS BUT I HASTEN TO ADD THAT EXCELLENT NEWS WOULD HAVE BEEN TO REBUILD FOR OPERATION.
CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING. SAYS I.

Date: 03/16/18 09:15
Author: CPRR

Great news. Now for the fund raising to get het painted back to the original paint scheme.

As for rebuilding the railroad, why not? The ROW is there....o wait the built houses at the start point.

Date: 03/16/18 09:28
Author: TS735

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!
Now we know know where to send our hard eanrned dollars to! And who says it won’t be returned to steam some day?? This may very well be the major catalyst for that very thing. A great announcement indeed.

Posted from iPhone

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

Date: 03/16/18 09:33
Author: callum_out

That's not great news, the locomotive was in decent shape and would have been a candidate to be a runner
on someone's "live" railroad.

Out

Date: 03/16/18 10:49
Author: WP-M2051

Being outside in Humboldt County with her boiler jacket on has not been wonderful for her condition but at least she's going to her original home. Some of the Eureka area fans are very angry which is too bad. I'd like to see the engine run again myself.

Date: 03/16/18 12:13
Author: doge_of_pocopson

It is going to a group that very much wants her and will care for her. And that is good news. B

Date: 03/16/18 15:05
Author: KMiddlebrook

What is Mill Valley going to do with the other Scotia displayed logging equipment

Date: 03/16/18 15:30
Author: callum_out

They're not getting it, it's going to Samoa (THA) in exchange for help moving the Heisler.

Out

Date: 03/16/18 15:53
Author: webmaster

Sealed Bid Auction Results
Sealed Bid Results

The winning bid for the sealed bid auction of the Heisler #9 Engine and associated logging equipment was awarded to Friends of the No. 9 in the amount of $56,240.00.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 03/16/18 18:07
Author: atsf121

Great news! I remember reading a book at the library in Walnut Creek, CA about the Mt Tamalpais railroad. What an interesting railroad. Glad the engine is headed home.

Nathan

Date: 03/16/18 20:49
Author: OKTrainboys

I know nothing about this topic, except to say that It seems to be a good thing that that absorbable little Heisler is going home. I can say that I owned a 7.5" gauge Heisler for 5 years in live steam on my Railway, and she looked a lot like this one. May I ask, is there ANY way that a short line can be rebuilt from the old line that she used to run on? Just asking.

Date: 03/16/18 22:34
Author: Bowknot

OKTrainboys Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> May I ask, is there ANY way that a
> short line can be rebuilt from the old line that
> she used to run on? Just asking.

It's unlikely in the extreme. Most of the grade is intact, but is owned by the local open space district or water district, and is heavily used by hikers and mountain bikers. Any blockage of that path would cause a political firestorm. And as a previous poster wrote, the beginning of the line (in downtown Mill Valley) has been built over anyway.

As a side note, a local preservation group has already built a train shed at the old line's highest point; I think the shed protects one of the "gravity cars" that used to run on the line. See https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1713604,1713615#msg-1713615

Date: 03/16/18 22:51
Author: dmaffei

A good book recommendation for history on this railroad is "The crookedest railroad in the world" by Wurm and Graves.
Wondering what the plans are for cosmetic restoration and display? Would guess it was going to be with the gravity car at the same location.

Date: 03/17/18 06:02
Author: KMiddlebrook

webmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sealed Bid Auction Results
> Sealed Bid Results
>
> The winning bid for the sealed bid auction of the
> Heisler #9 Engine and associated logging equipment
> was awarded to Friends of the No. 9 in the amount
> of $56,240.00.

From the Marin Independent Journal:
"Runner and the “Friends of No. 9” cast the best of six bids to purchase the Pacific Lumber Co. No. 9 locomotive that once roared through Mill Valley. Their bid of $56,240 was opened Thursday night at a Scotia Community Services District board meeting. The runner-up, Willits Redwood, offered $52,650."

Who were the other bidders?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds