Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Steam & Excursion > The First Train Arriving In Any Town Deserves A Picture Taken!

Date: 04/13/18 03:50
The First Train Arriving In Any Town Deserves A Picture Taken!
Author: LoggerHogger

The arrival of the first railroad into any community back in the age of steam was quite and event and deserved to be recorded on film This was especially true when the railroad arrived in small isolated towns off the beaten path of transportation of the day.

It was a cold November 22, 1908 when N-C-O #3 paused in her track-laying chores long enough for this photo to be taken to record her arrival in the small and very remote town of Alturas, California. The N-C-O had been pushing it's narrow gauge line north out of Reno, Nevada for number of years by this time and arriving in Alturas was seen as quite an event.

So anxious was Alturas for the arrival of the N-C-O that the town donated to the railroad a site for the main offices and main shop facilities for the railroad so that they could move those functions from Reno to Alturas.

In just a few more years N-C-O #3 would arrive with the first train into the town of Lakeview, Oregon. This would be the end of the line for the N-C-O and she would build no further north.

The N-C-O would be taken over in later years by the Southern Pacific and in 1927 the line would be converted to standard gauge. That would serve to put #3 out of work. She would languish for a few years in the SP yards in Wendal and then be taken to Sacramento where finally she would be cut up.

Here colorful history was just a thing of the past.

Martin

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/18 11:01 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/13/18 06:46
Re: The First Train Arriving In Any Town Deserves A Picture Taken
Author: czuleget

is that o8 or o3? the year?

Date: 04/13/18 07:15
Author: PHall

czuleget Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is that o8 or o3? the year?

Reads 08 to me. Very clearly too.

Date: 04/13/18 07:28
Author: LoggerHogger

1908. I fix my typo

Martin

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0288 seconds