Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Steam & Excursion > After 100 Years History Manages To Find A Way To Repeat Itself!

Date: 05/21/18 04:34
After 100 Years History Manages To Find A Way To Repeat Itself!
Author: LoggerHogger

When we run photo charters we do our best to make up a train that represents a period of railroad history that has long ago disappeared. Sometimes you get lucky and you are able to replicate not only a train but a location that was served by the steam railroad era. This is one of those time we got lucky.

Once located on the banks of of the Nehalem Bay was the Wheeler Lumber Company. This lumber outfit took it's name from the town of Wheeler that was located on the same bay just a few yards away. The town and the lumber company were once served by the Pacific Railway & Navigation Company that later became the Southern Pacific's Tillamook Branch.

In the first photo above, we see an "Punk Rotten & Nasty" (as the railroad was called back in the day) locomotive switching some log cars to the brow log so they can be dumped into the bay for the mill in the background.

This last Saturday during my photo charter with Polson Logging #2 I was able to return a steam-powered log train to this very same location for the first time in over 100 years as we see in the second scene on the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad.

History has a way allowing itself to be repeated on occasion.

Martin

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/18 03:55 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 05/21/18 07:03
Re: After 100 Years History Manages To Find A Way To Repeat Itsel
Author: refarkas

Now that is a "historic" now and then!
Bob

Date: 05/21/18 07:07
Author: BAB

Ha guessed it knew there was a reason Mary beat you to post.

Date: 05/21/18 11:56
Author: hawkinsun

Very nice. Too bad you couldn't get a bunch of nice pickles to fill those log cars, but that would be a lot of extra work. Over here in Idaho the mills can only handle logs as big as 27" on the butt end. That's still a nice log, but not like what they used to cut. They still take them but give you a lower price for them, and they have to pay a custom mill to come in and cut them up. Every year the local loggers try to out do each other at the logger fairs with their "parade logs", or "big pickles".

Always looking forward to your photos, both new and old.

Craig Hanson
Vay, ID.

Date: 05/21/18 12:37

I have put logs on the log cars we have in Prineville behind Mount Emily #1.

Martin

Date: 05/21/18 19:23
Author: asheldrake

absolutely amazing old / new photos.....nothing stays the same..........Arlen

Date: 05/21/18 20:30
Author: Railpax71

Wasn't the "P" in Punk, Rotten, and Nasty for Pacific?

Date: 05/22/18 03:56

Railpax71 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wasn't the "P" in Punk, Rotten, and Nasty for
> Pacific?

Yes it was. Thanks for catching my typo.

Martin

Date: 05/24/18 00:33
Author: hawkinsun

Those logs are dandies. That's what I'm talkin about. They look about 4'-5' in diameter. Takes a good sized mill to saw those up.

Thanks, Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds