Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Steam & Excursion > Where is this fine looking locomotive at.

Date: 06/10/18 14:43
Where is this fine looking locomotive at.
Author: lilwes

Trying to find out where this was taken at and what train was it, maybe. Thanks for your help in advance.
Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 06/10/18 14:46
Re: Where is this fine looking locomotive at.
Author: lilwes

Well turn the photo over dummy and read it. It was taken in Summitville, N.Y. All I need now is the train number. That's not on either side.
Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 06/10/18 14:57
Author: wabash2800

Didn't this road have a train like it called the "Mountaineer"?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/18 15:46 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/10/18 16:36
Author: CPR_4000

Yes, that is the O&W Mountaineer. Don't know the train numbers (1 and 2?) It was introduced in 1938, so this could be its first run, judging by how clean it is, and the number of passengers visible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/18 16:42 by CPR_4000.

Date: 06/10/18 16:54
Author: hawkinsun

I've got an HO model of one of those, still like new in the box and I think a couple of the cars that went with it. I think they were painted maroon, with orange and gold trim. Nice photo.

Craig Hanason
Vay, Idaho

Date: 06/10/18 18:00
Author: cewherry

An excerpted view of the NYO&W's northbound schedule between New York City and Roscoe NY, taken from an undated page of the Official Railway Guide
appears in William Kratville's 'Steam Steel & Limiteds'.

Shown on that schedule page are 4 trains, among which is train No. 3 The Mountaineer, with a note stating: "Last trip Sat., Sept. 10th".

I'm certainly not an expert on the "Old and Weary" or "Old Woman" as it was affectionately known but author Kratville does detail the fact that the road
had a substantial summer weekend and holiday business hauling New Yorkers headed for the lake regions of Sullivan and Ulster counties and as CPR_4000 has
noted the NYO&W introduced The Mountaineer in 1938 to serve those riders. Kratville states that the road shopped two steel parlor cars; ORANGE and ULSTER
in 1937 and 4-8-2 #405 received the maroon and orange stream-styling by Otto Kuhler as part of a $10,000 modernization in anticipation of the inauguration of
the Mountaineer. George's photo certainly appears to show the 405 in her new colors.

On the same excerpted schedule in Kratville's book was "Each week day" train No. 1, the "Ontario Express" and two "Sat. only" trains; No. 35 "Sullivan County Limited" and
No. 53 "Livingston Manor Limited".

Since the schedule page shows the northward Mountaineer to be train #3 and the Ontario Express as train #1, I would venture that the southward Mountaineer was train No. 4.
Could be wrong; been there, done that.

Charlie

Date: 06/11/18 15:54
Author: CPR_4000

As CEWherry hints at with the train's September cutoff date, IIRC the Mountaineer was a summer only train intended to serve the Catskills resorts.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds