Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Steam & Excursion > Highball Durango Trains roll

Date: 07/12/18 09:24
Highball Durango Trains roll
Author: stevelv

As LJGross said yesterday.  Trains rolling today.
Article says RR is close to acquiring 2 diesels and also will convert one steamer to an oil burner.
https://durangoherald.com/articles/231403-dsng-rolls-again-after-suspending-service-for-41-days

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/18 10:10 by stevelv.

Date: 07/12/18 10:58
Re: Highball Durango Trains roll
Author: SantaFe

Interesting reading all the comments about how this is money driven and all these nimbys complaining about the coal fired locomotives.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/18 11:10
Author: Cumbresfan

The railroad is also converting a coal-fired engine to an oil burner.

“We’re going to paint those three locomotives green in an effort to let people know we’re serious and committed to making this work,” Harper said.

Date: 07/12/18 13:50
Author: Keystone1

I think you should paint the locomotives yellow, to show solidarity with the liberals.

Date: 07/12/18 13:58
Author: dcfbalcoS1

It's very close to the end for them now. Next they will paint a happy face on the front and a sign that says, " We're leaving so you can stay."

Date: 07/12/18 19:12
Author: railstiesballast

Green? Today I watched a green boilered oil burning Polson Lumber #2 run through the woods of coastal Oregon looking mighty good.
Seemed like a lot of passengers were enjoying the ride on the Oregon Coast Scenic

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/18 19:43
Author: pravihrvat

Al Chione and Cresswell Fleming, who were there on the spot at the time the fire started, and are solid fans of the D&S and railways in general, have both noted reasons why their experiences that day lean toward the possibility the D&S may have some responsibility in this matter. Meanwhile, the owner of the D&S clearly has no wish to burn down forests, and is doing his best to act responsibly. If oil-firing helps the D&S survive in operation, and permits continued use of steam, that would be a rational solution; closing the railway for good over a single incident would be wrong, and needless. Oil-firing hasn't seemed to hurt the popularity of the 4449, 844, 3985, 3751, etc., nor can anyone say the operators of those locos are outside the political mainstream. This hardly seems a "liberal" or "conservative" issue. Public safety, water-shed protection, and the like should not be political footballs. These are concerns every reasonable person can share. It's sad to see some Trainorders comments on this topic head in an opposite and divisive direction.

For a fairly reasonable recent news report on the fire, see: https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/12/what-caused-416-wildfire-durango/

Date: 07/12/18 19:59
Author: sixbit

I'll take a steam locomotive fired with oil over a diesel any day. Here in California we have enjoyed oil fired steam for over 100 years. As much as I also like the coal fired 3 footers back in Colorado, I'd like to keep them running whether its #2 crude, or left over burger king french fry oil ; )

Date: 07/13/18 19:16
Author: RuleG

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you should paint the locomotives yellow,
> to show solidarity with the liberals.

You mean like this?  :)

http://forum.e-train.fr/trains/download/file.php?id=506823

Source: http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?t=84515

Date: 07/13/18 20:54
Author: SP4360

Typical stupid comment which has no bearing on anything.

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you should paint the locomotives yellow,
> to show solidarity with the liberals.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds