Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Steam & Excursion > Forgot all about these pic's of 3985!

Date: 07/17/18 12:43
Forgot all about these pic's of 3985!
Author: lilwes

While reconnecting all of my photographs to Lightroom after a computer crash I have been coming across a lot of photo's I had forgotten about. Here are 3 such photo's of my all-time favorite steam locomotive UP 3985. These were all taken on October 2. 2010 her in Topeka, Ks.
1) I was on the 46th St. overpass in northwest Shawnee county of the Marysville cutoff. There were a lot of people down there but trusty Lightroom beamed them somewhere in cyber-space.
2 & 3) I am on the dike in northeast Topeka and got it mostly "rods down" in both.
Man I do miss the ol'girl, but I'm sure she will run again some day.
Thanks for looking, Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 07/17/18 13:37
Re: Forgot all about these pic's of 3985!
Author: MojaveBill

Nice pictures.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/17/18 15:56
Author: UP951West

Quality slides of a great locomotive.  Thanks for posting them, Wes.   --Kelly

Date: 07/17/18 17:49
Author: Bob3985

Great photos of my favorite locomotive to operate. Just to listen to it start out of Lodgepole Nebraska, where I swapped with Lynn to fire it into North Platte, with 143 double stack cars trailing was a real treat. Especially listening to the sounds of the exhaust bouncing off the large elevators to the north side of the mainline. The many trips when I was the engineer on the 3985 I really appreciated its ability to easily start out a train and bring it up to speed.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/18 17:50 by Bob3985.

Date: 07/17/18 18:46
Author: hawkinsun

Very Nice Photos !     I say,  Get this loco. running again.

C. Hanson
Vay, Idaho.

Date: 07/17/18 21:29
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Absolutely my favorite steam engine to watch locally. Miss it terribly and really hope the restoration rumors come true. Saw it pull the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey train from Speer to Greeley, fantastic performer with Mr. Steve Lee at throttle. Big steam working under heavy load is always thrilling as the true power of water converted to steam is shown and big steam did an enormous part in winning WWII. Great for the Union Pacific to keep the steam program running.

SuperChiefDon

Date: 07/18/18 00:36
Author: RailRat

Wow, what a treat for you to find such buried treasure, and within your own collection no less!
Great shots of 3985.

Note: I think I can still see some remaining molocules still modulating around, of those people you beamed out, near end of road, In pic #1
Made me laugh, very good Scotty!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 07/18/18 17:36
Author: CaliforniaSteam

hawkinsun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very Nice Photos !     I say,  Get this loco.
> running again.
>
> C. Hanson
> Vay, Idaho.

Don't hold your breath on running again....  Great pictures of the finest locomotive in the UP fleet long live the 3985.

CS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds