Home Open Account Help 176 users online

Steam & Excursion > A few from Disneyland...

Date: 08/02/18 18:49
A few from Disneyland...
Author: PasadenaSub

Went to Disneyland for the first time in many years yesterday, a nice birthday gift from my wife.  We rode behind the Ward Kimball and saw it again through the day.  Also a nice Disney Steam exhibit currently in the lobby for the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln building near the entrance.

1) Arriving into the New Orleans Square Station, with a set of forward-facing seat cars.

2) Later after we departed 'It's a Small World', the same train was passing by.

Date: 08/02/18 18:52
Re: A few from Disneyland...
Author: PasadenaSub

3 & 4) Some nice framed displays about the Disney equipment.

All photos direct from my Iphone 6.

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/18 18:54 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 08/02/18 20:07
Author: tc

Thanks for posting this Rich I was born and raised in So,Cal and only did the train once.  Maybe on a vacation down there.

Date: 08/03/18 09:22
Author: wingomann

I have the book "Walt Disney's Railroad Story" by Michael Broggie.  It's a good book giving the background to Walt Disney's love of trains and how the idea of Disneyland was generated.  In some ways Disneyland is like a giant layout and originally had more rail operations (some have been eliminated for other rides now).  What I thought was neat is that Walt Disney and Ward Kimbal would take a break from work, go over to the park and take over a train from the regular crew.  It happened often enough that people would regularly check the engine crew to see if Walt was out playing again. 
It's good to be the boss.

Date: 08/03/18 13:47
Author: Cumbresfan

Are the engines steam powered, or do they have a small diesel or gasoline engine?

Date: 08/03/18 13:48
Author: HotWater

Cumbresfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are the engines steam powered, or do they have a
> small diesel or gasoline engine?

Both Disneyland And Walt Disney World railroad operations use real steam locomotives.

Date: 08/03/18 15:35
Author: PHall

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cumbresfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Are the engines steam powered, or do they have
> a
> > small diesel or gasoline engine?
>
> Both Disneyland And Walt Disney World railroad
> operations use real steam locomotives.

Walt Disney would strike them dead from his grave if they tried to replace the steam locomotives.

Date: 08/03/18 15:59
Author: CR3

This is the first good look I've had of the Ward Kimball locomotive.  Looks pretty sturdy even if smaller than some of the engines.  As you know I have that Michael Broggie book also.  I need to get down there one of these days.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds