Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Steam & Excursion > Articulate the subject and more

Date: 09/19/18 07:35
Articulate the subject and more
Author: Bob3985

1) When I usually get asked about the articulation in the 3985 I like to use this example. Our 4 track into the shop had the sharpest curve at our facility. Although not as sharp a curve that the Challenger could take it came close. The 844 survives this curve (gently).

2) I took this years ago on our way to descimate the CSX railroad with railfans. This was leaving Kansas City climbing Lee's Summit on our way east to go power the Santa Claus train for CSX on the old Clinchfield line. It was the 50th anniversary of that operation for the residents of the area in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

3) This was on one of our double header trips to Sacramento as we prepared to leave Ogden.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/18 07:44 by Bob3985.

Date: 09/19/18 07:42
Re: Articulate the subject and more

4)  This was a view from my seat on 3985 as we crossed the Lucin Cutoff across the Great Salt Lake. I used to be asked questions about doubleheading. Being the faster locomotive the higher diameter drivered engine was to lead (844). As a little aside, people would also ask what it was like being the engineer of the second locomotive in a doubleheader. My answer was one I took from one of the "Big Dog" T shirts I used to wear. It was a depiction of a dog sled team and said, "Unless your the lead dog the view remains the same". And for me that pretty much explained it all.

Hope you enjoyed looking back at a few memories with me.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/19/18 07:51
Author: TexasRocket

Very nice pics and thank you for sharing them. Any chance you got a pic of you wearing said  'Big Dog' t-shirt?

Date: 09/19/18 07:57

TexasRocket Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice pics and thank you for sharing them. Any
> chance you got a pic of you wearing said  'Big
> Dog' t-shirt?
I am sorry but I liked that shirt so much I wore it out and never got a photo of me in it. You know what they say about hind sight. Wish I coulda woulda!

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/19/18 10:39
Author: DRGWK59

In the "for what it's worth department", a version of that t-shirt is still available from BIG DOG T-SHIRT!  The big logo is on the back!!

Dave Ketchum
Cheyenne

Date: 09/19/18 10:52
Author: sgriggs

That photo #2 is fantastic.

Date: 09/19/18 12:18
Author: robert162

Thanks Bob, May i ask why the tenders were not as agile as the locomotive(ridged frame).  thanks all.   robert162

Date: 09/19/18 15:10

DRGWK59 Wrote:
> In the "for what it's worth department", a version
> of that t-shirt is still available from BIG DOG
> T-SHIRT!  The big logo is on the back!!
>
> Dave Ketchum
> Cheyenne
Thanks Dave. I may have to look into this one.
(Update; I have one on the way.)

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/18 04:59 by Bob3985.

Date: 09/19/18 15:12

robert162 Wrote:
> Thanks Bob, May i ask why the tenders were not as
> agile as the locomotive(ridged frame).  thanks
> all.   robert162

The tenders wheels are not as far apart as the drivers so with the tenders rigid truck is much tighter.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0719 seconds