Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Steam & Excursion > With A Nod To Jim Shaughnessy

Date: 09/21/18 08:51
With A Nod To Jim Shaughnessy
Author: MaryMcPherson

With the recent passing of the great photographer Jim Shaughnessy, I felt the need to post a photo I took that was directly inspired by one of his most famous photos.

The photo in question was a shot of Boston & Maine Pacific #3713 on her last run, pulling a passenger special.  I have read that the photo was taken under circumstances most of us who have ever chased a train can relate to: the grab shot taken as the train rapidly approaches without much time to set up.  Been there, done that, on many occasions.  If only my grab shots could only be so good!

Inspired by that famous image, I climbed to the top of a dirt pile adjacent to the property of the Monticello Railway Museum during Railroad Days on September 17, 2011.  I set the shutter speed to about 1/20th of a second and waited for Southern #401 to pass on one of her runs downtown.  With the train only running at about 15 miles per hour I wasn't sure how much of the "blurred motion" effect would result, so I went with the slowest shutter speed I thought I had a chance at pulling off without blurring everything.  Now, I will admit that I had one advantage that Mr. Shaughnessy did not: the motor drive, which would allow me to start shooting and then focus on tracking the locomotive without worrying about the motion of pushing the shutter wrecking the image.  Call it a cheat if you will; I won't argue the point.

So here is a recreation of that famous photo, made by someone who will never claim to be a master railroad photographer for the ages.  But hey, we can all get lucky sometimes... right?

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 09/21/18 08:53
Re: With A Nod To Jim Shaughnessy
Author: MaryMcPherson

Another variation on the blurred motion theme; this one taken during 2015's Railroad Days.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 09/21/18 09:32
Author: Short-Hood-Lead

Both are great but the B&W shot is stunning!!!

Date: 09/21/18 10:35
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Mary --
Your first shot is superb!  You got close to what Shaughnessy did.  Well done, ma'am!

Date: 09/21/18 12:01
Author: robj

If you search his name and 3713 you may get "The Trackside Photographer" and scroll down you will see the photo and the back story.
Certainly a "Hail Mary" as it was all by instinct and "Hastings got Nothing." 

Bob

Date: 09/21/18 13:18
Author: nycman

Nice tribute and nice photos, Mary.  Jim was one of my heros.

Date: 09/22/18 07:33
Author: boejoe

Well done.

Date: 09/22/18 08:20
Author: ajax247

"someone who will never claim to be a master railroad photographer for the ages..."

Maybe, but your video work is outstanding. Keep shooting!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds