Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Steam & Excursion > She Was The Least Known Of The Trio But She Still Put On A Show!

Date: 10/12/18 02:00
She Was The Least Known Of The Trio But She Still Put On A Show!
Author: LoggerHogger

Back in the 1960's it was nearly impossible to find working steam locomotives on any railroad in the U.S..  The vestiges of steam powered trains had all but disappeared from this nation;s railroads.

One bright spot that proved an exception to the eradication of steam motive power was the Magma Arizona Railroad in Magma, Arizona.  Here could be found a trio of active steam locomotives in daily freight service.  Magma boasted a 2-6-0 in the form of #6 shown here, a 2-8-0 #5 and a 2-8-2 #7 in active service well into the 1960's.

The least photographed of the famous trio of steam locomotives on the Magma Arizona was #6 seen here in active service.  She was the first of the trio to be retired when she was initially put on display at the Magma plant in 1960.  While not as famous as her 2 other sister engines, she could still capture all that was right about steam powered shortline railroading in the West.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/18 02:09 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/12/18 08:17
Re: She Was The Least Known Of The Trio But She Still Put On A Sh
Author: Lightning_Slinger

Huh?

Ever heard of the D&RGW?

Date: 10/12/18 08:37
Author: BAB

Lightning_Slinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Huh?
>
> Ever heard of the D&RGW?

Say WHAT?   He probably knows more about it than you do. See nothing wrong with his comments.

Date: 10/13/18 04:18
Author: monogram

Magma #6 is on display at the McCormick - Stillman  Railroad Park in Scottsdale AZ.

Date: 10/13/18 06:14
Author: doge_of_pocopson

Lightning_Slinger Wrote:
> Huh?
>
> Ever heard of the D&RGW?

The quote was:  "It was nearly impossible to find working steam locomotives on any railroad in the U.S."  Perhaps that answers your own question.  B

Date: 10/13/18 10:01
Author: hotrail

monogram Wrote:
> Magma #6 is on display at the McCormick -
> Stillman  Railroad Park in Scottsdale AZ.

I love that place!  Stumbled upon it during a vacation trip to Scottsdale with my wife and son.  Just happened to drive past it, and almost locked up the brakes when I saw it.  I am surprised I never hear any discusssion of it.  They have some historic equipment, a beautiful buidling with 3 large scale model railroads, live steam, and a park train for the kiddies.  What a great place, wish we had something similar in our town.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds