Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Steam & Excursion > More 759 - Sort of

Date: 11/05/18 09:29
More 759 - Sort of
Author: jimeng

759 was out running in Phoenix at the Maricopa Live Steamers Fall Meet. 

Jim Kreider

Date: 11/05/18 10:29
Re: More 759 - Sort of
Author: Keystone1

Wes....this is in your backyard......right?

Date: 11/05/18 13:28
Author: steamfan759

Jim -  I have seen some photos of this locomotive before, it is a great looking Berkshire!!  I wish someone would bring one down to Nick Edward's track in Texas.  A number of us would be VERY delighted to see it in action!!

Ron

Date: 11/05/18 13:40
Author: scoopdejour

Nice! Almost looks like 1:1 It's been a long time since I've fired the real one. 
Good to see someone keepin' her alive
Scoopdejour

Date: 11/05/18 14:50
Author: wcamp1472

Re: Keystone1..
its a beautiful steam engine....not close enough physically to my backyard.
But, this one stirs my heart.

I had recently joined the NJLS club, years after having volunteered ( 1965-66) during the construction of the 1 1/2” track loop and roadbed...
A lot of my early understanding about steam came from learning about live steamers...

A truly memorable experience was visiting the Live Steamers in Massachusetts....
a guy had a 1 1/2 “ gauge New Haven Pacific ( two air tanks behind the the stack),  the model was not as “true-scale”  as this subject, But, was built for running, cruising and performing, as a true coal burner...

The Autum weekend day was cold and rainy, he was the only one runninjg.  
He invited Phil and I to ride the cars, and take a few circuits... It wasn't long before the big Pacific won our hearts, we were cruising at a brisk pace, the rhythmical stack music was incredible ...like being back a few cars on a full sized version.
The whistle was low toned, melodic and loud...

Around and around we went...hypnotized by the experience.
It was a REAL locomotive ....the realism of the experience was thrilling and incredible.  
The speeds were bracing, the entertainment was fantastic & the engine was wonderful,
Close your eyes and it was another fantrip, wind in your face, smoke, cinders and valve oil...
The whole experience was incredible...

It was right up there, with the full-sized fan trips we were riding: the Reading Rambles with 2100  & 2102, the CN 6218, on her U.S. visits to Vermont & Connecticut, George Hart’s CP 1286 ( 4-6-2) & 972 ( 4-6-0) in York, Pa.  thewonderful  EBTnarrow gauge,
,the BR&W with the #60; 2-8-0, the PRR 1223 , 4-4-0, at Strasburg, lettered strictly Pennsy ( no ownership ID.).
Also, Chasing GG1 screamers, New Haven Elecrtics,  The NY&LB, with the Big Gs, the Long Island RR, & Alcos (before NY State takeover....).

That New Haven Pacific is Right up there with the Big Guys...in my memory.
WOW..

W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/18 14:55 by wcamp1472.

Date: 11/05/18 16:14
Author: tomstp

Hey Wes, this one ain't bad either.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds