Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Steam & Excursion > Witness The Changing Of The Guard In A Most Unusual Place!

Date: 11/06/18 03:08
Witness The Changing Of The Guard In A Most Unusual Place!
Author: LoggerHogger

While the change over from steam motive power to that of diesels took place all across the Country in the 1950's, in no place was it more surprising to see that transition than in the Owens Valley of California on the Southern Pacific narrow gauge Keeler Branch.  This was the last place that one would have expected the parent railroad to make the investment modern diesel power.

By the 1950's the Keeler Branch was already anachronism.  She had outlasted even her original Carson & Colorado Ry founders who soon after it's completion dubbed the line as having been built as, "either 300 miles too far, or 300 years too soon".  To say that the line struggled financially for it's last several decades is to be kind.

With this in mind, in 1954 the railfan world must have been stunned to learn that Southern Pacific thought enough about the future of the Keeler Branch to order from GE a new 50-ton diesel electric locomotive for the line.  At the locomotive's dedication in October 1954 she was dubbed the "Little Giant" and soon put to work as the primary power for  the line.

Fortunately for railfans, #1 would need regular servicing in the SP shops in Bakersfield, California, thus giving the chance for stand-by power 4-6-0 #9 to venture back out on the line for the delight of the photographers.

All good things come to an end, and in April 1960 the Keeler Branch ran it's last train with #9 and a string of cars to be placed on display at the depot and yards in Laws at the north end of the line where they still are today.  #1 found her way to Mexico and may still be there today.

If the "Little Giant" gave the line and #9 a few more years of life, then she definitely was a success.

Martin

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/18 03:14 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/06/18 05:45
Re: Witness The Changing Of The Guard In A Most Unusual Place!
Author: refarkas

The backstory makes the photo even better.
Thanks for sharing this.
Bob

Date: 11/06/18 07:59
Author: miralomarail

Here is a photo of Ex SP #1 in 1989 in Cananea, Mexico where in 1989 it was CNC 61-8 and Standard Gauge

Tom Hirsch 
Cherry Valley, Ca

Date: 11/06/18 12:24
Author: Kimball

Great post.  I never realized how close Keeler is to the East side of the Owens Valley.   I though it was said to be "...300 miles too short..." ?  Meaning it needed to reach the Colorado River.

Date: 11/06/18 15:07
Author: colehour

I think that there were a few years in the early 20th century when the line was fairly profitable because it was hauling some valuable minerals, but it's been many years since I read anything about the line. I did visit the area more than 20 years ago, and the ng rails were still embedded in the pavement at one point. I believe that at the end the principal commodity it hauled was talc. 

Date: 11/07/18 18:57
Author: JimBaker

Actually, the statement was " We're either 300 miles too far or 300 years to soon!"

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 11/10/18 09:03
Author: coach

And just how did t his narrow guage GE diesel make it to Bakersfield for servicing??

Date: 11/10/18 09:23
Author: JimBaker

Loaded on a Flatcar at Owenyo and hauled down to Mojave and west to Bakersfield.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 11/10/18 10:23
Hauling on a flatcar
Author: jbwest

Here is No. 1's return on a flat after her last trip to Bakersfield in 1959.  That was also the last day No. 9 was used, for a roundtrip to Keeler.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/18 10:24 by jbwest.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds