Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Steam & Excursion > Lost in Montana

Date: 11/14/18 23:53
Lost in Montana
Author: Ardenwood

Picture 7.  pictures 7,8,9 are taken in thesame area.
Picture 8.  SPS700
Picture 9.  somewhere in Montana

Date: 11/15/18 00:01
Re: Lost in Montana

Picture 10.  Montana Daylight
Picture 11.
Picture 12.
Any help about the date and location is appreciated.

Date: 11/15/18 06:16
Author: gregscholl

The next to last one is going downgrade Mullan Pass toward Helena.  Its late in the day by the shadows.  Don't remember the name of the trestle but shot it upgrade with diesels and helpers in 1999.  I really like your shot looking down into the canyon.  I was fortunate to shoot this engine in 1990 when it ran the Washington Central without diesels.   Great engine.  You were there too Haruo.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 11/15/18 07:29
Author: WoodwardEJ

More great photos, Haruo.  Thanks for sharing.

7.  Westbound after crossing Yellowstone River bridge east of Reed Point, Montana  October 18, 2002
8.  Westbound east of Reed Point, Montana  October 18, 2002
9.  Westbound east of Reed Point, Montana  October 18, 2002
10.  Westbound along the Missouri River between Brewer and Toston, Montana  October 19, 2002
11.  Eastbound crossing Skyline Trestle on east side of Mullan Pass, Montana  October 13, 2002
12.  Westbound west of Big Timber, Montana – Crazy Mountains in background.  October 18, 2002

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/18 12:10 by WoodwardEJ.

Date: 11/15/18 14:23

WoowardEJ, Thank you so much for your kind ID.  Knowing the location somehow shrinks the time distance. 
Greg.  Thank you for your comments. 

Date: 11/16/18 00:03
Author: grizzledgary

Not much help with the locations but I'm really enjoying the images as they refresh some great memories. We rode westbound and it stands as the most memorable and enjoyable trip we've ever been on. As Greg said a great engine (my personal favorite of restored steam) really stepping out in a beautiful part of the country. We enjoyed the best of service on board and very nice accommodations each night and then more of the same in 2004 behind #4449. We were absolutely gutted when Montana Rockies Rail Tours sent the letter in 2005 stating they were permanently shutting down after having suspended operations earlier that year to "rethink" their business model. In a conversation on board our train in 2004 the CEO of MRRT informed us that the 'Montana by Steam" excursions were an attempt to extend their season and broaden the customer base of the operation by making a concerted effort to market to rail fans as well as their usual clients who wanted to experience something different. She offered that they were pleased with the response and if possible the plan going forward was to then host a different steam locomotive every two years. Unfortunately this was not to be, a very great loss in my view and I doubt we will ever see anything like that operation again though the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society did ask ticket purchasers for the Joliet Rocket if they had interest in overnight trips. I know I'm ready....... 

Date: 11/16/18 06:45
Author: monaddave

Ardenwood -
Thanks for continuing to post your trip. A correction to WoodwardEJ's number 11 answer. That is Skyline Trestle. Greenhorn is the lower bridge and more open background.
Dave in Missoula

Date: 11/17/18 15:38
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds