Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Steam & Excursion > I Find It Hard To Believe It Has Been 10 Years Ago We Did This!

Date: 12/03/18 07:19
I Find It Hard To Believe It Has Been 10 Years Ago We Did This!
Author: LoggerHogger

Is it really possible that it has been 10 years since we ran the last steam train on the McCloud Ry?  Well, as hard to believe yes, as of this weekend it has been exactly 10 years ago that Malen Johnson and I climbed up into the cab of McCloud #25 to run what would be the very last steam trip on the McCloud Railway. 

We ran to Bartle that morning and then up to the switchback at Signal Butte in the afternoon.  When we returned to McCLoud and dropped off out passenger cars we headed back for the shop.  I knew when I killed the fire on #25 as we rolled to a stop in the shop that there would be no more steam trains on this beautiful shortline.  Sad indeed.

So much has happened in the 10 years since.  Sadly, we lost Malen Johnson just a couple years after the run and then we lost MCRy CMO Al Brunello.  Then a few years later it was Jeff Forbis, the owner of the McCloud, and the reason it lasted for it's last 20 years that we lost.

Then there is the railroad itself.  Shortly after the last steam run the McCloud was abandoned past the town of McCloud.  The rails pulled up and turned into a trail.

Jeff first asked me to sell McCloud #18 and then venerable #25, and finally the railroad itself.

Today, the yards are quiet.  The dinner train cars taken to the new owners home along with one of the diesels.  The rest of the shops and locomotives and cars lie rusting in sad shape.

For those of us who enjoyed the McCloud Ry we can only cherish our memories and be glad we experienced it while we could.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/18 06:05 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/03/18 07:44
Re: I Find It Hard To Believe It Has Been 10 Years Ago We Did Thi
Author: stanhunter

I rode every mile of the McCloud on excursions, most behind no. 25.  Sure glad I did.  I really miss that railroad.  It's sad to see the right of way now - just a streak of red cinders through the forest.  Had some good times up there.

Thanks Martin.

Stan Hunter
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 12/03/18 08:07
Author: callum_out

We were sitting in the maintenance super's office at Sierra Pacific Burney as the outbound was pulling cars
and the conversation had been about the mill shutting down and moving production to Quincy. I wondered
how the railroad would do without it's major remaining customer on the East end and found out the answer
only too soon. As said before, I miss the railroad, I miss our visits to Jeff, progress isn't always better.

Out

Date: 12/03/18 08:34
Author: BAB

Was there a few months ago as it has been about five years since last there. Equipment still there has trees growing thru them shops seem intact with some signs of life unknown what type.

Date: 12/03/18 08:59
Author: andersonb109

Definitely one that go away. I was too busy chasing "real" steam in China and preserved steam in South Africa, all with only four weeks vacation. So McCloud could wait. By the time I had the time, it was all over. :( 

Date: 12/03/18 09:37
Author: train671

I had the pleasure of being part of that last photo charter put on by Martin.  It was well run and those who were part of
it knew it would be the last time steam would be moving amongst the beautiful shadow of Mt. Shasta.  Fortunately
#25 still sounds her whistle along the beautiful coast of Oregon and on ocassion the "Venerble Mr Hansen" packs
HIS magic camera and leads another photo charter involving the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad.  If you haven't
been part of one of his photo charters don'e miss the opportunity.  You may actually wear out your camera with
all the photo opportunities.  Thanks, again, Martin for all you do to preserve the history of Steam Railroading.

Date: 12/03/18 15:40
Author: LJohnson

Martin
I can't believe it was 10 years ago. We had a great trip.
Luke

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/18 15:42 by LJohnson.

Date: 12/03/18 19:59
Author: Keystone1

Martin...ten years,,,shocking.  Remember the night shot of #25 that you graciously set up with towering Mt. Shasta in the background?   Some guys used strobes, then, it was my turn for the gang using my customary 25s and 22s to bulb the scene. I heard no complaints!  My girlfriend Florence, spent some time in the coupola of the caboose during the trip. We are married now. My, has time moved fast. On leaving the area for the last time, we paid our respects to the red, leaning water tower. A great spot for photos on previous trips.  #18 in the snow, and another trip with #19 that Chris Skow brought down down from Eureka. I guess that faithful water tower has finally fallen... alas.   Thanks for all the memories Martin.

Date: 12/03/18 21:58
Author: JDLX

I think you probably meant to say Bartle instead of Burney in your second paragraph, Martin, as most of the railroad beyond there had already been salvaged by the time of your trip. 

In a fit of shameless self promotion, I'll put in a plug for my book....hard to believe it's been out two years now!

http://www.signaturepress.com/McCloud/McCloud.html

Thanks for starting this thread and bringing back a lot of fond memories!

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 12/04/18 08:53
Author: mundo

Thanks for the review.   I missed the news on Jeffs passing.

Ed

Date: 12/04/18 13:51
Author: grizzledgary

Martin, I share your disbelief in how rapidly those years have  passed. My only exposure to the McCloud (other than in print) was several years earlier when we traveled to the 2005 NRHS Portland Convention aboard Trains Unlimited Tours "Pacific Northwest Express" that to my great good fortune featured a side trip to McCloud due to the originally planned Feather River Canyon route no longer being an option. I'm sure many passengers were disappointed with the change but my lack of any real knowledge of what to expect didn't allow me to have a preference one way or the other. After seeing what the McCloud line had to offer first hand coupled with some spirited running of #18 around the McCloud yard on a beautiful morning with Mt. Shasta as a backdrop I couldn't have been happier. Learning of the railroads demise so few years later was gut wrenching news but it did serve to reinforce my feelings of how lucky I was to have been there at least once before the end. I had a brief peek at #25 that morning and had hoped to return to ride behind her there but that was not to be. We do look forward to seeing her in steam on the Oregon Coast Scenic, mindful of that first meeting at McCloud.     Thanks for the posting.       

Date: 12/04/18 14:12

Grizzledgary,

That morning when you saw McCloud #18 running around the yard while your train was preparing to depart, that was one of my McCloud photo charters getting ready to leave as well.  We waited for your train to go and we then started our shooting on the line.

Here is a shot I took of Jeff Forbis hanging off the Milwaukee end car on your train as we prepared to leave on my charter.

A special day on the McCloud.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/18 14:17 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/04/18 20:30
Author: nycman

Many great memories from your trips there, Martin.  Sad that Malen and Jeff have left us.  Just to add to Train671 and Keystone's posts, here are a couple from that weekend, the railfans gathered to collect their photos of a fine runby, and the subject of that runby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/18 21:45 by nycman.

Date: 12/05/18 05:06

Thanks Jim for posting these.  I am glad you could join us on some of these charters.

Martin

Date: 12/06/18 02:26
Author: GN599

I sure miss picking up and setting out cars at Lookout for these guys. Always said I would go out and chase them but never did. Now all that’s left is the balloon track with rusty rails and trees growing up through it as well. The main line still goes out into the woods and over the horizon, but ends a few miles out. Sad indeed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2653 seconds