Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Steam & Excursion > These Caught Inside The Roundhouse Is A View Not Often Seen!

Date: 12/09/18 04:19
These Caught Inside The Roundhouse Is A View Not Often Seen!
Author: LoggerHogger

Steam photos taken inside the roundhouses that serviced steam were rare for a number of reasons.  First, the access to the enginehouses was often limited for most, if not all, non-railroad personnel. Next, the cameras and the film speeds of the days when steam ruled the rails was very limited and not favorable for use in these dimly lit dungeons of steam.

In the case of logging railroads, for of these outfits had very elaborate enginehouses in the first place and if they could be found, the same limitations on photography mentioned above applied to them as well.  For these reasons, shots of logging lokies taken from inside roundhouses are quite rare.

In 1956, railfan Norm Rolfe, was in Flagstaff, Arizona and was able to get permission to wander around the mill yards of the Southwest Lumber Mills so that he could record their logging railroad on film.  Fortunately, he had brought his tripod with him so that he could come away with a few shots of the logging locomotives inside the SWLM machine shop and enginehouse.

Inside he was able to catch this shot of recently delivered Baldwin 2-6-6-2T #12.  This logging mallet had arrived only a couple years earlier from Hammond's redwood operation out of Samoa, California where she had been their #6 at that operation. 

At Flagstaff, the greater haul across the pine forests found there required more water capacity and SWLM had to outfit #12 with an old tank car to serve as an auxiliary tender.  This would be only the first of several modificatins that #12 would recieve at Flagstaff.  Soon her side tanks would be removed alon

Martin

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 04:34 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/09/18 06:38
Re: These Caught Inside The Roundhouse Is A View Not Often Seen!
Author: steamfan759

Martin -  Great photo and story and you have gotten me interested in the Baldwin logging 2-6-6-2T locomotives.  I am really looking forward to the book that you and two others are working on.  Please keep me posted as this work progresses!!

Ron

Date: 12/09/18 06:54
Author: LoggerHogger

Ron,

Sorry you are so may miles away.  This next March at the Camp 18 logging confernece I will be makeing a presentation on Baldwin logging articulateds.  This will give folks just  a taste of what will be in the book that Steve Hauff, Dale Sanders and I are just now finishing on these interesting locomotives.

Martin

Date: 12/09/18 08:41
Author: BAB

Nice shot tank car almost looks like a wood one the way straps are arranged.  Also Martin went to the web site, could find nothing about next years events when will that be posted or did I miss it? Thanks Boyd in Chiloquin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 08:59 by BAB.

Date: 12/09/18 12:44
Author: wcamp1472

I was puzzled by the large, foreground object....
Then it dawned on me that it was an electric-powered band saw for cutting metal stock, tubes, angle, etc.....
( there’s also a suitable stand for supporting long metal stock...)

A-ha!

Wes.

Date: 12/09/18 14:38
Author: Steamman

A little historical update to Martins information on #12.  She was built by Baldwin as a 2-6-6-2T in 1929 #60870 for Hammond Lumber Company as #6 for service at Mill City, Oregon.  She was moved to Hammond's Samoa, California operation in 1931 and renumbered #12.  In 1951 she was sold to the Arcata & Mad River Railroad of Korbel, Ca and my records show she was sold to Southwest Lumber Mills of Flagstaff, Arizona in 1956.            Tom E. 

Date: 12/10/18 06:30
Author: SierraRail

Engine 12 did not leave Arcata & Mad River RR until mid-1956. A&MR had their enginehouse & shops in Korbel, but their headquarters & General Office was in Blue Lake, (Humboldt County) California.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds