Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Steam & Excursion > some recent Strasburg Railroad imagery (photos)

Date: 12/11/18 00:23
some recent Strasburg Railroad imagery (photos)
Author: mfmalk

Although there are steam operated railroads closer to the front door of my house, I consider the Strasburg Railroad in eastern Pennsylvania my "home away from home". I often go there just to play. To experiment with a new shooting technique. Try something outside the box from my usual comfort zone. Or brush up on old skills. An 80-minute drive by car, within the last month and a half I have been there on four separate occasions in search of light and color with my cameras.

Follow the link below; sharing the latest images:

Link to Photos

Enjoy,
Matthew

Date: 12/11/18 00:56
Re: some recent Strasburg Railroad imagery (photos)
Author: ClubCar

Matthew, your photos are all very nice.  I too love the Strasburg Railroad and I usually visit them each year.  Even though I have ridden the line many, many times, I still take a ride and purchase something from their gift shop in order to keep them in business.  To me this is very important and I hope that you do the same so that they will be around forever.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/11/18 04:39

John,

Your message is an excellent one. To take it a step further, I also frequent the local businesses nearby the railroads I visit. For example, just down the road from the Strasburg Railroad is an excellent deli that I have been going to for years. As a railfan we should be encouraged to support both the railroad and its surrounding businesses.

Matthew

Date: 12/11/18 09:39
Author: ALCO630

And if you go in I believe September there's also the great Whoopie Pie Festival.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/11/18 10:47
Author: Westbound

As a native Californian and retired railroader I can stated that everything about and around the Strasburg RR were just great on my visit. We have nothing here that quite compares!

Date: 12/11/18 16:17
Author: MojaveBill

That shot of the young lady could have been taken in the late 1890s...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 12/11/18 18:54
Author: rkennedy2

They're simply great pictures.  Well done.  I visit Strasburg and ride as often as I can.

Date: 12/11/18 19:12
Author: OCtrainguy

I am able to get to Strasburg a few times a year.  I'll ride the railroad and stop in their gift shop as well as the railroad museum across the street.  I've eaten at Isaac's (the deli by the Choo Choo Barn) and lately have also eaten more at the local restaurants as opposed to the chain ones out on Route 30.  Plus, if the weather is good, nearby is the Enola Low Grade Trail (former PRR trackage).  The whole area is so enjoyable.  

Date: 12/12/18 07:25
Author: crusader5619

Amazing how 4.5 miles of railroad can be portrayed. I have visited SRR off and on for 40+ years and enjoy seeing artistic renditions like yours.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/12/18 17:27
Author: palmland

Magnificent photos! They are worthy of being published in a railfan  magazine. My fist visit to Strasburg was in high school in 1960. Been back almost  every year since and it just keeps,getting better. I wish there was an Amtrak or Septa stop in Paradise, but then that might invite more urban sprawl that is creeping nearer that beautiful countryside.

Date: 12/13/18 02:42

Thank you everyone for the replies left here, the private messages, and emails sent. I appreciate them all! For me, one of the allures at the Strasburg Railroad is the wide open spaces of the surrounding Amish farms and community. The landscape serves as a perfect backdrop to the daily steam operations, creating many timeless scenes that I enjoy returning to through the year. I am happy to hear you like them also.
Matthew

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds