Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Steam & Excursion > Surprise on the Everett RR, Claysburg,PA. 9/16/18

Date: 01/01/19 16:11
Surprise on the Everett RR, Claysburg,PA. 9/16/18
Author: warren1977

While driving north on Business RT220 just south of Claysburg  at about 9:30am, I neared the grade crossing and looked east towards the Everett RR shops. I saw a headlight with a steam  plume and investigated. It appeared that Everett 2-6-0 #11 was going to make a move on behalf of the company before going to Hollidaysburg for the excursion trains.
Several minutes later, #11 started paddling southwards down the remnant of the x-PRR Bedford Branch with a company flat car loaded with track materials.
I hustled back to the Business RT220 crossing to get these images.
The Penns Cave billboard may have been here since the end of PRR steam on this branch in the mid-1950s.
Since it is only about 1.5 miles to end of track, the chase was on!.
Warren W. Jenkins images

Date: 01/01/19 16:24
Re: Surprise on the Everett RR, Claysburg,PA. 9/16/18
Author: LJohnson

They have a great group of people working there, last xmas I got to go there for a weekend thanks to Jason and Zack.

Luke

Posted from Android

Date: 01/01/19 16:25

I hustled ahead to the end of track at Sproul, where the rails were recently cut just north of a new access driveway to the huge new warehouse for the SHEETZ convenience store chain. Shippers seem to come and go on this part of the Everett, and that is why the rails were stubbed back about 1/4 of a mile, plus the railroad did not have to install a new gated crossing. The track material is for a new siding in this area, but I was unable to determine the exact purpose, or what shipper is involved.
#11 pulled ahead to clear the siding, and ran around the flat to shove it to the end of the track.

Date: 01/01/19 16:31

#11 shoved the flat to the very end of track, tied the brakes down, and reversed to head back north.
This was a fascinating move to document, and my ride to Roaring Springs later that day was also memorable.

Date: 01/01/19 17:11
Author: refarkas

That most likely was the only freight moved by steam in North America today!!! Truely rare photos.
Bob

Date: 01/02/19 11:21
Author: ClubCar

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That most likely was the only freight moved by
> steam in North America today!!! Truely rare
> photos.
> Bob

Unless the Strasburg R.R. had some freight movements as many times they use their steam locomotives in freight service prior to when they operate the passenger trains.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds