Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Steam & Excursion > Hot Water in Big Sky Country.

Date: 01/16/19 12:28
Hot Water in Big Sky Country.
Author: tolland

In October of 2004, my wife and I deliberately made a point to come to Montana to chase the SP4449, on the last trip ever for the Montana Rockies Daylight Train. Jack Wheelihan was firing on this run and we felt a special kinship to this trip because of that. Here are a few pictures. I had no idea at that time that someday I'd be living in Montana. Montana truly is the "last best place".

Jim Burrill
Hamilton, Montana.

Date: 01/16/19 12:29
Re: Hot Water in Big Sky Country.

The last two pictures are somewhat blurry because it was snowing like crazy.

Date: 01/16/19 12:31

Three more.

Date: 01/16/19 12:33

My camera here was an Olympus C-3030, outdated at the time but it did the job.

Date: 01/16/19 12:43
Author: HotWater

WOW!  Very nice, Jim. I always enjoyed any time I spent in Montana. In fact, back in 1963 when I was working on the new EMD GP30 delivery to the Great Northern, it was my first exposure to "no speed limits" except for in towns, plus Montana was still on the "Silver Standard" (just like Nevada), and one dollar bills were sort of scarce. I always had a pocket full of Silver Dollars, and each day I would go through them, and pull out & save the oldest date. I believe I still have the 1888 New Orleans Mint one in the drawer. 

Date: 01/16/19 12:48

Jack, I haven't chased trains at all in the two and a half years I've lived here. I need to do it someday but I have other priorities. I'll send you a PM.

Best,
Jim Burrill

Date: 01/16/19 18:31
Author: callum_out

Jim, I still have my C-3030, my first digital, cost me close to a thousand bucks for a 3mp camera. Love your
shots, lotta history there.

Regards
Rich Hunn

Date: 01/16/19 19:30
Author: Frisco1522

Wish I had known you, apparently we were in the same neighborhood.  Lousy weather.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds