Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Steam & Excursion > Greasing the bearings of 4449

Date: 01/30/19 14:19
Greasing the bearings of 4449
Author: brassjournal

I seem to remember that a gentleman by the name of Jack (Hulst?) greased the bearings of 4449 while it was on display in a park.

Is that correct or am I remembering a steam dream?

Date: 01/30/19 14:33
Re: Greasing the bearings of 4449
Author: HotWater

brassjournal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I seem to remember that a gentleman by the name of
> Jack (Hulst?) greased the bearings of 4449 while
> it was on display in a park.
>
> Is that correct or am I remembering a steam dream?

Yes, but his name was Jack Holst, and he didn't use "grease" since the SP GS-4 locomotives had pressure feed oil lubricated journals. Thus, Mr. Holst kept all the journals well oiled, all the time 4449 was on display in Oaks Park. The sad part of the whole story is, Mr. Holst never got to realize the benefits of his efforts, as he past away prior to 4449 being selected for use on the American Freedom Train.

Date: 01/30/19 18:09
Author: radar

But what a legacy Mr. Holst left behind.

Date: 01/30/19 18:49
Author: wcamp1472

When, in 1973, Andy, Russ and  I had dreamed of using the 4449 for the AFT, we had no-idea of what Jack Holst had been doing...over all those years.  

I’m so impressed that Doyle took over the 4449 restoration project.... Doyle must have been impressed with the critical work that Holst had performed.   It’s my hallucination that Doyle decided to undertake that immense challenge, considering the very short time he had to get the engine running.... The well-preserved journals was key to Doyle’s decisions.  Another huge factor in his decision to undertake the 4449 was the enthusiastic support that the City of Portland threw behind the project and then, over the many years that have followed.

We  can imagine the ribbing and sarcastic comments that Holst endured every time he dove under the engine...year after year ...
Had the journals been allowed to become rusted, it’s likely that Doyle and a Joe would have sought other power for AFT, given the brutally short time-frame they had to work with.

Its entirely fitting that Holst’s name is memorialized  in welding-art script on the cab’s valve handle bracket-plate under the cab’s roof.  He would have approved.

Thank you, Jack Holst.
Thank you, Doyle.
Thank you, Joe Karal.
Thank you, Portland.

Wes.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/19 20:27 by wcamp1472.

Date: 01/30/19 19:01
Author: LoggerHogger

Besides being a fan of the SP #4449, Jack Holst was a huge fan of the Heisler geared locomotive.  He was working on a book on the Heisler at the time he took ill and passed away.

Here is Jack on the footboards of former Pickering Lumber Heisler #10 while she was being operated in 1968 at the Klamath & Hoppow Valley RR near Arcata, California.  Jack is wearing one of the red jackets that he was famous for.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/19 19:04 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/30/19 20:19
Author: brassjournal

Thank you all for the information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/19 20:46 by brassjournal.

Date: 01/30/19 21:59
Author: railstiesballast

IIRC one of Jack's relatives (niece?) was thanked formally by the 4449 crew only a year or so ago.
They showed her the plaque in the cab and she understood.

Date: 01/30/19 23:41
Author: Sasquatch

Anyone have a photo of the plaque?  Please post, if you do, and thanks!

-Tom

Date: 01/31/19 09:06
Author: BoilingMan

SR

Date: 01/31/19 11:03
Author: wingomann

He doesn't look very old in the picture.  I have been given the impression that he was an old guy. 
When did he start doing the job an how often did he do it?
​It's amazing that he thought to do it and put in the effort.  Are there any examples of anyone else doing it on any other locomotives?

Date: 01/31/19 11:10
Author: BoilingMan

During the time of the AFT tour the word of this spread, and I think there were probably several that were inspired to do the same. I believe there was someone who started oiling around the 3751, but I don’t remember his name.
SR

Date: 01/31/19 12:22
Author: LoggerHogger

wingomann Wrote:
> He doesn't look very old in the picture.  I have
> been given the impression that he was an old
> guy. 
> When did he start doing the job an how often did
> he do it?
> ​It's amazing that he thought to do it and put
> in the effort.

Jack passed away in 1972 at age 38.  He did his greasing of the bearing in the 1960's until he passed.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/19 12:23 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 01/31/19 12:46
Author: HotWater

BoilingMan Wrote:
> During the time of the AFT tour the word of this
> spread, and I think there were probably several
> that were inspired to do the same. I believe
> there was someone who started oiling around the
> 3751, but I don’t remember his name.
> SR

Since the 3751 has roller bearings on all axles, there probably wasn't much involved in "oiling around".

Date: 02/01/19 00:20
Author: JP86

What’s the latest news that’s happening in the Portland shop? I haven’t heard much going on with 4449 and SP&S 700

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0613 seconds