Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Steam & Excursion > Last time two SP Cab-forwards photographed together

Date: 02/01/19 09:33
Last time two SP Cab-forwards photographed together
Author: Digger

The year was 1978 and the location was Sacramento, California. The photo shoot was for the January, 1979 issue of Live Steam Magazine with SP #4294 and Ed Yungling's 1.5" scale #4242. This image was published in the Sacramento Valley Live Steamer's newsletter as a "40-Years Ago" memory from back issues of the SVLS newsletter (photographer unknown). Perfect timing, as it wouldn't be long before #4294 would be tucked away inside the California State Railroad Museum as their Crown Jewel. Ed's cabforward can still be seen on rare occasion operating at SVLS in Rancho Cordova ( www.svls.org ). 

Chris Donhost 
Vacaville, CA 

Date: 02/01/19 10:24
Re: Last time two SP Cab-forwards photographed together
Author: trackplanner

Nice model!  Is that the one built in England for a guy in the Santa Barbara area many years ago?

Date: 02/01/19 10:41
Author: HotWater

trackplanner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice model!  Is that the one built in England for
> a guy in the Santa Barbara area many years ago?

No, Ed built that himself in his own shop.

Date: 02/01/19 11:18
Author: MaryMcPherson

My, my, my.  Looks like one got left in the dryer too long!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 02/01/19 13:07
Author: wcamp1472

So, where does the driver sit when running the live steam version?

W.

Date: 02/01/19 13:09

wcamp1472 Wrote:
> So, where does the driver sit when running the
> live steam version?
>
> W.

As I recall, Ed had a special car, coupled to the tender, for the operator to ride on and control the throttle and fuel oil firing valve.

Date: 02/01/19 13:29

HotWater Wrote:
> wcamp1472 Wrote:
> > So, where does the driver sit when running the
> > live steam version?
> > W.
>
> As I recall, Ed had a special car, coupled to the
> tender, for the operator to ride on and control
> the throttle and fuel oil firing valve.

Yes, the engineer rides on a gondola connected to the rear of the tender. Ed converted the locomotive to burn propane about 20 years ago. Here is a video that demonstrates how the locomotive operates today. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abSVjcU040U&fbclid=IwAR0zHQjZYw3t0lAsGbqB45wg-zetsu4hcyRh095f8pMC-qG9zpjH-kWjmE8

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA 

Date: 02/01/19 19:34
Author: spnudge

The only engine that comes to mind was the one Tom Miller had built in England and had it shipped to Oregon. It was a Big Boy.  I ran it a few times at Tom's and it was big.  I have not heard much about him as of late. Hope he is in good health. Ed built his mallet right in the Sacramento Valley. 

My engine sits upstairs at the museum. Its a 2-6-0 Valley Mallet. The museum wanted to display it and after a year or two, they told me they would rather buy it than to return it. Its there now so my grand kids can go and see it.  I purchased the engine from Andy Clerici in Napa. I ran it for a year or so but the back tube sheet started leaking.  I tore it down to the frame (both engine & tender and rebuilt it from the ground up.. After I had the boiler off, I took it down to Bill McCredie in Portland to let him work his magic. After 3 weeks, I went back to get it and I could tell it was just fine. It took me about 2-3 months to get everything back together, paint it and hydro it. It took me forever to make everything to match up with the boiler an inch or two shorter.  It had a rear light on the tender, a Mosley steam Gen-Set that ran a bulb behind the water glass. I used Barrys valves which were the best. Especially his "injector" valves. Looked like a regular valve but if you pulled the neck, it snapped open, giving the injector a hit, like the ones we used to have.  My engine hydro pressure was 200 lbs and not a drop out of the boiler.  McCredie knew his stuff. I was at the vegi track in Mollia and I lost a small high pressure nipple. He grabbed a piece of pipe, went into the tractor shed and turned a new one in 5 minutes on a huge lathe that was used for tractor axels, etc.

Next time you are by the museum, stop and visit her up stairs. Andy made those cylinders so "square" it would pull just about anything. I had 42 cars behind it in Medford, plus 2 steam engines, drifting, It moved and never stopped but kept digging in just like it was designed to do.   

RIP: Andi Clerci
       Gorden Adams
       Leroy Johnston
       Bill McCredie

As usual, please correct me if I am wrong.  

Nudge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/19 17:52 by spnudge.

Date: 02/01/19 21:25

spnudge Wrote:
> My engine sits upstairs at the museum. Its a 2-6-0 Valley Mallet.
> Nudge

Here you go, Sellar. A little trip down memory lane. First two images taken at Train Mountain in Chiloquin, Oregon. The last taken at CSRM, just above where the Cabforward is on display.  

Chris 

Date: 02/02/19 05:45
Author: wcamp1472

On the Cab-Forwards, what’s than tan thing, on the running board, under the 2nd sand dome?
Somebody’s lunch?

W.

Date: 02/02/19 06:27

wcamp1472 Wrote:
> On the Cab-Forwards, what’s than tan thing, on
> the running board, under the 2nd sand dome?
> Somebody’s lunch?
>
> W.

Boiler check, for the feedwater line (there is one check on each side, just like on 4449).

Date: 02/02/19 06:52
Author: LocoPilot750

I was at the museum in August, and saw that engine, have a photo someplace. No idea who owned it at the time. It's a beauty.

Date: 02/02/19 07:04
Author: Frisco1522

After a trip on the turntable

Date: 02/02/19 18:01
Author: spnudge

I don't know who sent the pics to TO but I would like to talk to you, if possible. My computer doesn't do a good job copying pics or forwards.

Send me an e-mail and let me know.

Nudge

Date: 02/04/19 07:40
Author: MP4093

HotWater Wrote:
> wcamp1472 Wrote:
> > On the Cab-Forwards, what’s than tan thing, on
> > the running board, under the 2nd sand dome?
> > Somebody’s lunch?
> > W.
>
> Boiler check, for the feedwater line (there is one
> check on each side, just like on 4449).

Wes they are painted red just like the ones on the 1828, SP practice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0821 seconds