Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Steam & Excursion > German steam in regular service 1973 (third installement)

Date: 02/16/19 10:53
German steam in regular service 1973 (third installement)
Author: Krokodil

While I have posted some steam pictures on the European board, I believe there steam enthusiast on this part who appreciate steam even if form abroad. These pictures are from German (west) Railroads (DB) heavy pacific class 01 (001 after computerization of the numbering system in 1968) in the last week of full operation in Bavaria's north-east corner near the border to East Germany. The line from Bamberg to Hof included both fast running at their top speed of 130km/h (80mph) as well as serious climbing a 4 mile 1:40 grade, the famous Schiefe Ebene (incline).

Picture 1: Here the 001 111 makes a run at the 1 in 40 grade after a station stop in Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg, April 1973

Picture 2: The 001 168 is working hard on the grade, but the top of the steepest section at Marktoschorgast is in sight, afterwards the line will be climbing at more leisurely 1:100 grade, time for the fireman to take a well earned break, April 1972!

Picture 3: A heavy pacific with an early morning local train in the horseshoe curve past Marktschorgast, April 1973

Thomas Eckhardt
Hurricane UT

Date: 02/16/19 11:02
Re: German steam in regular service 1973 (third installment)
Author: andersonb109

Happy to see foreign steam is becoming more prevalent on TO. Those opposed won't even notice what they often think are obnoxious red wheels with the B/W photos!

Date: 02/16/19 15:05
Author: Frisco1522

I was in the Army and was shipped to Germany in summer of 1963 via troop ship.  We boarded a troop train at Bremerhaven and went south.  I was assigned to Stuttgart Army Airfield, so it was an all night ride.  We had one of the 4-6-2s which had an almost N&W hooter on it.  I spent nearly all night with my window open smelling coal smoke and listening to the engine work.  It was a very long time since I had heard such music.  I caught hell for having the window open, but it was a great show.
I was in Stuttgart for two years and would drive down to Tuebingen and watch steam  That's where they took the electrics off and put steam on at that time. 
Wife and I lived in a German apartment off post by the airfield and there was a branch line that ran in back of us.  Most of the time it had some sort of a diesel on it, but once in a while it would have a tank engine for power. 
Those were good times.

Date: 02/16/19 17:10
Author: Krokodil

Frisco, here is a ride behind two Pacifics at daytime, still the same thrill. Its the two cylinder version BR01), although I suspect based on your itineray you were riding behind the more powerful three cylinder version.(BR01.10)

Thomas Eckhardt

Date: 02/16/19 20:31
Author: Frisco1522

That must be my window open.  Quite a ride.  When we boarded, we were told we leave at 1730 and will be in Stuttgart at 0630.  Right to the minute!  I also noticed that even next to RR yards and downtown areas, NO SLUMS or crappy neighborhoods.   Forests clean of undergrowth.  Amazing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds