Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Steam & Excursion > Skookum Stretches Her Legs & Pulls Her First Trains In 64 Years!

Date: 03/04/19 02:38
Skookum Stretches Her Legs & Pulls Her First Trains In 64 Years!
Author: LoggerHogger

The last few days was yet another milestone for us a Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad.  The long restoration of the fabled Skookum came closer to completion with Skookum pulling her first train since February 23, 1955 when she wrecked on the Deep River Lumber Company.

The last few days were set aside for training of the crews of Niles Canyon Ry and The Roots Of Motive Power who will operate Skookum this summer at Niles Canyon.  The first day was orientation of the operating and maintenance personnel from both groups with the Skookum and the fire-up of the locomotive.  We then proceeded for the next 2 days to operate the locomotive on OCSR first to Smith Lake and then on the last day to Wheeler, Oregon.  This gave the trainees the chance to rotate through the Skookum's cab and learn to operate her under the instructions of OCSR crews.

Saturday night was set aside for a "Skookum Restoration 'Wrap' Party".  This event gave us at OCSR the chance to review with the invited guests including Skookum's owner, Chris Baldo, the Skookum saga and the story of her restoration.  I acted as the MC for the event and gave a slide presentation on the History of Skookum.  After that, Scott Wickert, CMO of OCSR discussed with the guests what the restoration of the engine entailed and all the work that went into this project.  Finally, I invited Chris Baldo up to tell the assembled group of why he devoted the time, energy and money into this project.  After that Chris made presentations of reproduction builders plates to those mechanical crew members at OCSR that performed the miracles it took to bring Skookum back to steam operation.  After that I presented Chris with a new Baldwin Locomotive Works delivery banner to honor his passion to return Skookum to as good a condition as when she left the Baldwin factory in 1909.

In a few weeks Skookum will perform on the sold-out TRAINS Magazine Photo Charter that we are putting on at OCSR and then, in early April Skookum will be loaded and shipped to Niles Canyon for her summer of operation there. 

The next phase of Skookum's career is just now beginning.  We, at OCSR, wish both Skookum and Chris all the best in the years to come.

Martin

P.S.  At the event I read a letter written by an old friend of mine, Art Bain that was shared with me by his son Tim Bain just a few days before.  Art was one of the last surviving members of the crew that helped Charlie Morrow remove Skookum from the woods in 1960 after she laid in the creek bed since 1955.  I had asked Tim to see if Art could share some of the stories of the removal process.  Even though Art was 95 and in failing health, he did write me a letter to read to the group.  Chris Baldo and all the others thoroughly enjoyed Art's recount of the removal process. 

When I returned home I received a note from Tim that Tim had told his dad about me reading the letter to the group.  Tim said that Art smiled with appreciation that the people liked his letter.  Sadly, Tim told me that Art passed away later that night.  Tim said his dad passed knowing that Art's memory of Saving Skookum lives on.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/19 09:48 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/04/19 02:38
Re: Skookum Stretches Her Legs & Pulls Her First Trains In 64 Yea

Martin - 2

Date: 03/04/19 02:39

Martin-3

Date: 03/04/19 02:39

Martin-4

Date: 03/04/19 03:58
Author: cozephyr

Awesome accomplshment-!  Thanks for sharing Skookum out running.  May she run for many years to come.

Date: 03/04/19 05:39
Author: refarkas

Beautiful images. Photo two with the gull is a work of art.
Bob

Date: 03/04/19 06:14
Author: bluesman

Will Skookum be visible during Oregon schools Spring Break end of March?

Date: 03/04/19 06:16
Author: gbmott

Congratulations to everyone involved over the past fifty-nine years.  Altogether it has been a pretty remarkable achievement.  Nice work.
Gordon

Date: 03/04/19 06:59
Author: thehighwayman

I have come to realize that when Martin does not post something on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, it is because he is busily involved in running a restored steam locomotive (usually a logger) somewhere.
It also means that we are going to be treated to some fabulous new photos on the following Monday - and sometimes for several days.
I no longer worry when I don't see a Loggerhogger post -- It just creates anticipation!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 03/04/19 07:59
Author: BAB

Many of us on here live by his posts unable many times to be where he is doing something with steam. Thanks Martin for all the photos had hoped to be at the gathering but unable due to weather.

Date: 03/04/19 09:15
Author: Frisco1522

Hope somebody posts a video of her really working.  Be interesting to hear.

Date: 03/04/19 09:17
Author: CPRR

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hope somebody posts a video of her really
> working.  Be interesting to hear.

You will have to wait for Niles Cyn for that....

Date: 03/04/19 09:35
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!

Larry

Date: 03/04/19 09:42
Author: asheldrake

Great posting Martin.......however, I don't usually tear up after reading one of your many great posts but I did with this one....thank you.     Arlen

Date: 03/04/19 10:20
Author: Railfan4Christ

Beautiful photography, Martin! Congratulations to all involved for a job well done.

Tom

Date: 03/04/19 13:47
Author: nycman

She's a rare beauty.  Thanks to all who had anything to do with her rescue, restoration and return to operation.  Rest in Peace, Art..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0959 seconds