Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Steam & Excursion > NRHS's Steve Lee Bulletin Issue

Date: 03/19/19 16:08
NRHS's Steve Lee Bulletin Issue
Author: Bucyrus-Erie

If anyone is interested, it wasn't just a quick story about Steve, The article consumed a full 36 pages of the bulletin's 39. I don't know if this is the norm for their bulletin. Anyway, I found it a fun and interesting read. $6 shipped. 

BTW .... steam team members Art and Bobby Lockman. Brothers? Father and son? Coincidence?

Anyways, I hope UP keeps the steam program running. I wish there were more engines running around the country.

Jim Lee
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Date: 03/19/19 16:13
Re: NRHS's Steve Lee Bulletin Issue
Author: HotWater

Bucyrus-Erie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If anyone is interested, it wasn't just a quick
> story about Steve, The article consumed a full 36
> pages of the bulletin's 39. I don't know if this
> is the norm for their bulletin. Anyway, I found it
> a fun and interesting read. $6 shipped. 
>
> BTW .... steam team members Art and Bobby Lockman.
> Brothers? Father and son? Coincidence?

Art Lockman is the father, long retired Machinist Foreman from the steam era Cheyenne shops. Son Bob Lockman still works for UP

> Jim Lee
> Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Date: 03/19/19 16:14
Author: Spoony81

Here is the thread from a few weeks ago.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4748477

I ordered my copy a week ago and received it on Saturday. Haven’t had a chance to read it yet though

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/19/19 17:34
Author: px320

I got my copy in the mail and it is indeed a good read. Hope see a lot of friends I haven't seen in a while in Salt Lake City and at Promontory this May.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/19 17:35 by px320.

Date: 03/19/19 18:39
Art and Bobby Lockman
Author: Bob3985

Art Lockman was a machinist/ Mechanical foreman having worked all around the Eastern District. He had started his machinist apprentice program in Cheyenne. Heworked in the back shops. At one point he told me had took his foreman's rights. Under this position he worked in Green River, Rawlins, Laramie, Cheyenne and Omaha. I don't recall if he listed North Platte or Kansas City. He once related a story to me about the UP 8080 coal turbine. He was a foreman in Council Bluffs at that time. He said they would get it ready and fired up with a couple of Geeps for protection. And he said it came back dead every trip. Eventually the UP scrapped that idea. Art was a great guy to work with and he was a Yankees fan, but he would go to Arizona in March to watch the Cubs Spring season.

Bobby, Art's son started as an electrician in Green River. He worked hus way up to a mechanical foreman and eventually ended up in Cheyenne. This was where Steve latched onto him as th crew needed an electrician for several projects that Steve had in mind. Bobby fit right in with the steam crew. Currently he is the first shift service track mechanical foreman on the service track in Cheyenne and will retire this coming November.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/19/19 21:10
Re: Art and Bobby Lockman
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Steve Lee article was read today. It is the full issue except for book reviews and is also totally excellent and gives the reader a lot of insight into what the actual job actually entailed. Thoroughly enjoyed it as Steve Lee was a huge presence and accomplished a lot of great PR for the Union Pacific.

Don Allender

Date: 03/20/19 07:39
Author: Frisco1522

I would order a copy if the web site would let me.   I must be in the wrong spot.

Date: 03/20/19 07:47

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> I would order a copy if the web site would let
> me.   I must be in the wrong spot.

Maybe Elrod will send you a copy. Didn't you participate in the interview?

Date: 03/20/19 08:11
Author: Spoony81

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> I would order a copy if the web site would let
> me.   I must be in the wrong spot.

Send an email to the link below telling them you would like to order the issue, they sent me a response within 20 minutes on instructions. It's $6 postage included

bulletin@NRHS.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/19 08:24 by Spoony81.

Date: 03/20/19 14:19
Author: nycman

I got my usual NRHS Bulletin in the mail yesterday.  Read the entire thing.  I once had the privilege of working for one of the greatest aircraft designer/engineer/manager guys in the world, Kelly Johnson, at Lockheed.  The work ethic of Steve Lee as reported in the article pretty much matches Kelly's.  I only met Steve briefly at the 2005 NRHS convention, but know he and Doyle McCormack do things alike, and have worked with Doyle in the past.  I wish I had worked with Steve.   And Don, you are quoted in the article.

Date: 03/20/19 15:54
Author: Goalieman

nycman Wrote:
> I got my usual NRHS Bulletin in the mail
> yesterday.  Read the entire thing.  I once had
> the privilege of working for one of the greatest
> aircraft designer/engineer/manager guys in the
> world, Kelly Johnson, at Lockheed.  The work
> ethic of Steve Lee as reported in the article
> pretty much matches Kelly's.  I only met Steve
> briefly at the 2005 NRHS convention, but know he
> and Doyle McCormack do things alike, and have
> worked with Doyle in the past.  I wish I had
> worked with Steve.   And Don, you are quoted in
> the article.
>  

What a privilege it must have been to have worked for Kelly Johnson. A brilliant mind indeed. If you haven’t read Ben Rich’s book, “Skunk Works”, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy off Amazon. A great read - and hey, you may be mentioned in it!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/19 17:44
Author: boejoe

I started to read my copy today.  Haven't seen it mentioned above or on the previous post last week, but our own T.O. member Bob Krieger (bob3985) gets his own honorable mention in the article.

Date: 03/20/19 20:54
Author: Frisco1522

HotWater Wrote:
> Frisco1522 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would order a copy if the web site would let
> > me.   I must be in the wrong spot.
>
> Maybe Elrod will send you a copy. Didn't you
> participate in the interview?

Yes, I did participate.  I'll get one somehow or another.  Wouldn't miss it.

Date: 03/21/19 13:41
Author: chiefds

Art was the Mechanical Foreman on the North Platte Service Track on weekends in the early to mid 70's, for sure.

Date: 03/29/19 10:59

Received my copy this morning. Absolutely EXCELLENT job of writing, accompanied by some really nice photos. Must admit that I never realized how big the article turned out to be. What a great legacy he left. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0754 seconds