Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Steam & Excursion > United Kingdom Steam

Date: 04/05/19 03:35
United Kingdom Steam
Author: andersonb109

In spite of, as the Britt's would say often  "doggie" weather, I probably have more decent photos from England, Scotland and Wales than any other place than the U.S. So at the risk of starting another debate as to what comprises a "country" I've decided to combine them under the United Kingdom banner for the next few posts. So in no particular geographic or year order here goes.  First: No. 2 "Dolgoch" on the Talylln narrow gauge railway just east of Talyln in Wales. The Irish Sea is in the background in this September, 1999. photo.  Second and third; First with a passenger, then with a goods train, 7F NO. 53809 is on a November, 2010 charter on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway in the northeast of England. This is one of the longer heritage lines in the country. 

Date: 04/05/19 03:45
Re: United Kingdom Steam

Next:  A series of photos from November, 2013. First  Double Farlie "Merddin Emrys" is seen on the loop at Ddault on the Ffestiniog Railway that runs between Porthmadog Harbour and Blaenau Ffestiniog in Wales. This was one of many railways built in the area to haul slate from the mountains to the coast. Second; "Palmerston" with a vintage passenger carriages on the Cob that links Porthmadog Harbour with Boston Lodge where the work shops are located. Third; "Merridin Emrys" with an empty slate train at the same location. 

Date: 04/05/19 04:01

Next: A series of photos from the neighboring Welsh Highland Railway. This line had a relatively short life having been built in 1921 and abandoned 1933. After many legal battles as to who owned the right of way, the entire length of the line was rebuilt between  1997 and 2011 for tourist operation. First; Single Farlie "Taliesin" is at Pont Coresor on a November, 2010 charter. Second: Double Farlie "Merddin Emrys" is near Rhy Ddu. Third: The Welsh Highland is famous for having rescued several narrow gauge Garratt's from South Africa. (see South Africa posts for other rescued locos in operation in their home country). Here NG 16 No's 87 and 138 are on the loop at Rhy Ddu.  Note that one has been repainted in Welsh Highland colors while the second was left in it's original South African livery.  

Date: 04/05/19 06:14
Author: tomstp

Nice fall colors.

Date: 04/05/19 12:31
Author: King_Coal

Wonderful photos. Thanks for posting them.

Date: 04/05/19 15:14
Author: hartland

All great. 
Thanks   

Date: 04/05/19 15:24
Author: elueck

Thanks for posting these!  It makes me look forward even more to my upcoming trip!

Date: 04/05/19 16:27
Author: meixel

Beautiful pictures!  Where's the rain that I had in September?

John Meixel
Longmont, CO

Date: 04/06/19 15:27
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds