Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Steam & Excursion > Question about UP 4014 chase

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 04/06/19 09:26
Question about UP 4014 chase
Author: 2839Canadian

What are the odds of getting into the west portal of Hermosa Tunnel to shoot the 4014 emerging on May 4th?

Date: 04/06/19 09:37
Re: Question about UP 4014 chase
Author: Frisco1522

What was it?

Date: 04/06/19 09:59
Author: IC_2024

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was it?

Now that ... THAT’s funny!!
Thanks for the frothy, foamy laugh this AM, Frisco1522!!
😆🤣😂

Date: 04/06/19 10:09
Author: wcamp1472

Depends on the mode of transport, drone use and selected stake-out time and location ( better be a week ahead).
Via highway?  
Slim, to none.

W.

Date: 04/06/19 10:35
Author: HotWater

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
> What are the odds of getting into the west portal
> of Hermosa Tunnel to shoot the 4014 emerging on
> May 4th?

The main line is down grade westbound there. Why bother? Besides, I seem to remember that it is all private property.

Date: 04/06/19 10:53
Author: UP3806

There's a lady rancher with a rifle in those parts that doesn't take kindly to trespassers. Have encountered her more than once!

Tom

Date: 04/06/19 11:33
Author: ACL3042

I was back there about three years ago. The gate was open, but I did not drive back there. I walked into the area. I ended up getting three east bound trains while I was there. I wanted to shoot the signals at the east end of Hermosa.

The station on the Union Pacific is actually Hermosa. A lot of people call this Tie Siding. Tie Siding was located north of Hermosa where the original light crossed the county road.

I am a betting man. I would say that the Union Pacific will have the gates locked on the day that the 844 and 4014 runs westward. Another thing that I would bet on, there will be a couple of county Mounties there at Hermosa. If you step off from the county road, they will give you a ticket for tress-passing!!!!! Neither Colorado or Wyoming have cheap fines.
In Colorado, if you get a ticket for tress-passing, the fine can range from $600 up close to $1,000. These are not like traffic tickets. If you get a trespassing ticket, you have to show up for the court hearing.

How much are you willing to pay to get a photo of the 4014?????

Yes, the ranchers are not friendly people. You will have either a pistol or rifle pointed at you.

ACL3042
Gary A. Rich

Date: 04/06/19 11:36
Author: DocJones

This "stuff" just isn't any fun anymore. I think I'll just buy the videos.

Have fun, be safe,

Bruce "Doc" Jones  Sierra Madre CA

Date: 04/06/19 13:34
Author: wcamp1472

If you’re buying videos ... by the historical ones, taken during the 1950s...

Hard at work, and true Railroading .. You get to see them drafted as the should be... a lot of scenes with Dismals, are with the crippled infernal combustion engines: DEAD!! And the steamers called to the rescue...

Also, you’ll get REAL steam loco variety, not just two whistle-tanks. Being shoved by the Dismals...

The old cars are a hoot, also.

W.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/06/19 14:09
Author: mamfahr

> Yes, the ranchers are not friendly people. You will have either a pistol or rifle pointed at you.

I have to disagree with this.  I know several ranchers and all I've met have been very friendly.  Whether they're friendly or not depends almost entirely upon how you meet them.  Most were very open to railfan visits years ago, but things have soured in recent decades due to railfan behavior.  They're upset because people: enter their land without permission, leave gates open, bother their animals, run over their dogs, litter, damage fences, start fires, etc, etc.  I don't think it's unreasonable for some of them to be upset at this point - that sort of behavior would irriate most of you that was done to your home/property.

Take care,

Mark

Date: 04/06/19 14:23
Author: Bob3985

All those locations that are not county roads are all private property, individuals or Railroad. Trespassing on them can land you in a situation that you will not enjoy.
The authorities will not tolerate errogance or ignorance. Remember the ranchers and property owners in Wyoming are armed. It is highly likely that the right of way gates will be locked up that weekend by the maintenance of way folks.
Be smart and pick a location that is along a county road and away from the tracks.
Also be prepared for all the fights and disagreements that will be taking place for all the railfans getting in each others photos.
Folks, it will be a zoo with thousands chasing the train during these events.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/19 14:28 by Bob3985.

Date: 04/06/19 15:28
Author: Trainman41

I bet all those unfriendly ranchers with the guns,  also own a backhoe...and a lot of property where they can use it.  :-)

Date: 04/06/19 15:39
Author: TCnR

To add to the confusion a lot of the roads marked County Roads on maps and GPS are actually private roads. Hard to tell but there's usually a sign or gate, maybe just a change in the road material that gives the only clue.

Date: 04/06/19 16:32
Author: robj

I proceed on plausable deniability. If it is not posted and there is not closed gate I will proceed.  If fit is posted I would only go based on the swamp fox theory(if you are old enough to remember) but never through a gate open or closed(won't open and don't want to get locked in).

What is odd to me is seeing railfans in an area clearly off limits with a bunch of cars hanging around like it is their club property.

Bob

Date: 04/06/19 17:18
Author: RoadForeman

If you have to ask, you likely already know the answer.

Date: 04/06/19 17:54
Author: displacedneb

Best way. Stay home and buy the video.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/06/19 18:02
Author: CarolVoss

displacedneb Wrote:
> Best way. Stay home and buy the video.
>
> Posted from iPhone

AMEN!! we saw the madness when we rode from Minneapolis to Portand behind the 4449 10 years ago——insane chases all across the country. This  will probably more than out do that insanity. I’ll wait for the videos.
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 04/06/19 18:55
Author: ALCO630

Hopefully somebody will video the chasers.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/06/19 19:49
Author: cchan006

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
> What are the odds of getting into the west portal
> of Hermosa Tunnel to shoot the 4014 emerging on
> May 4th?

Back in 2008, I went in through the open gate and got trains on both end of the Hermosa Tunnel. The gate was opened by UP MOW, and yup, technically, I was trespassing.

I stayed on UP's maintenance road and ran into one rancher. He waved, and I waved back, and he was friendly because I was obviously a foamer and had no intentions of going into HIS property. It also helped that I was alone, less of a threat. UP MOW truck was parked near a signal box past the east end of Hermosa Tunnel. He saw me, but didn't seem too concerned. I only got a handful of trains, then left the area BEFORE the MOW, so I wouldn't get locked in.

Seeing the posts above, things have probably changed 11 years later.

You can try to go there, but since it's a major event, there will be numerous others who'll try the same. More people = more threatening to private property owners = gates will be closed, as mentioned above. Don't be part of a potential mob, but instead be satisfied with photos and videos from those who'll get permission to go in there.

Date: 04/06/19 19:54
Author: dan

after 9/11 crews were supposed to call in people, some do

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0848 seconds