Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Steam & Excursion > Zambia Steam 2

Date: 04/07/19 03:57
Zambia Steam 2
Author: andersonb109

I'm skipping correct alphabetical order and more U.S. photos for now and will start a new series once this one is completed. So for today, here's Zambia (former Northern Rhodesia). This sad loco sits on the museum grounds at Livingstone, just across the bridge from Victoria Falls (name not yet changed). Our group visited the all outdoor museum on the Union Limited's epic and somewhat ill fated trip from Cape Town in July, 2001. That story was detailed in the first Zimbabwe post a few weeks ago.  Most of the equipment including the ZR 4-8-0 No. 1126  was in pretty rough shape then. I can only imagine what it looks like now some 18 years later. But I guess that's better than the scrap yard. There is currently only one serviceable steam locomotive based in Zambia which is used on the Royal Livingston Dinner Train, shown in my first Zambia post. Tomorrow the series will conclude with two more photos from Zimbabwe including a surprise visitor. 

Date: 04/07/19 08:57
Re: Zambia Steam 2
Author: gregscholl

Hmmm, I bet the surprise visitor is a SAR 25NC(4-8-4).  I believe at least one tour started in South Africa and hauled the train into Zimbabwe where the group then proceeded to do steam in Zimbabwe.  Just a guess on my part. As a side note my brother was in Rhodesia shooting steam during the days of the uprising.  They had to travel in convoys!!!!  This was in the 80's.  He later went back to Zimbabwe and we did a video from that trip(regular service stuff in 1990).
Greg
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 04/07/19 09:54
Re: Zambia Steam 2
Author: andersonb109

You are correct sir.  I had previously included the loco to which you refer in my Zimbabwe post in the first series along with the back story as to how it got here. I'm posting by where the photos were taken, not by the heritage of the locos being photographed. Otherwise, all those 
Garratts in Wales would be posted under South Africa!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0393 seconds