Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Steam & Excursion > The last forestry railway?

Date: 04/08/19 09:17
The last forestry railway?
Author: jbwest

These pictures were taken in 2006, but the Viseu de Sus forestry railway in Romania's Carpathian Mountians contines hauling logs six days a week as of the last report.  The log trains are mostly dieselized, but steam locomotives remain for a tourist service and perhaps for occasional use still hauling logs.  The coach on the logging trains is authentic and is how the workers get to and from the job, since there are no roads into the area.  Interesingly Cozia-1, the locomotive in the last picture, was built in 1986.  These pictures were taken on a Farrails charter, and photography specials are still run occcasionally.  

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/19 09:21 by jbwest.

Date: 04/08/19 09:40
Re: The last forestry railway?
Author: SP4360

Looks like a neat operation, thanks for posting.

Date: 04/08/19 10:47
Author: andersonb109

Thanks. I did Siler's tour there in 2015. Basically same operation as you described. There is also a working forestry line in the Carpathians on the Ukrainian side, not too far north from Visus de Sus. 

Date: 04/08/19 11:40

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks. I did Siler's tour there in 2015.
> Basically same operation as you described. There
> is also a working forestry line in the Carpathians
> on the Ukrainian side, not too far north from
> Visus de Sus. 

Any pix of the Ukrainian operation?  There are also a couple of lines in China that might still be operating.

JBWX

Date: 04/08/19 14:19
Mocăniță Forestry Railway, Romania
Author: Milepost_130

The Mocăniță Forestry Railway continues to operate.  Farrail Tours continues to operate tours to this railway.

In February, 2019, friends of mine and I made a return visit to this line.  Although the weather did not completely cooperate (no bright sun), the narrow gauge steam operation still managed to provide several interesting images.

CFF 764-408, 0-8-0T (IUPS Reghin Resita ? / 1987), 760 mm gauge

Mocăniță Forestry Railway: https://www.cffviseu.com/en/home/

Date: 04/08/19 15:29
Re: Mocăniță Forestry Railway, Romania

I have wanted to get back during the winter.  Who needs sun with snow like that.  Bernd posted some great pix including the icicles in the tunnel.

JBWX

Date: 04/09/19 04:50
Author: NKP779

What is the actual track gauge?

Date: 04/09/19 09:38

NKP779 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the actual track gauge?

760 mm or about 30' in those rare spots where it is actually in gauge.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/19 10:03 by jbwest.

Date: 04/10/19 19:57
Author: DNRY122

Wow!  Thanks for posting something that relatively few of us will see in person.  The snow photos would make great Christmas cards.  And yes, in this country, the track would be rated somewhere below "FRA excepted".

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds