Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > USA Steam 2

Date: 04/10/19 03:24
USA Steam 2
Author: andersonb109

Here's today's installment. Grand Trunk Western 4-8-4 NOrthern No. 6325 is seen on a Dave Goodhart charter on the Ohio Central, November 2003. This was my first experience with large steam on a photo charter. With this second U.S. offering, I find it interesting  to note the significant increase in "views" over all but a few of my European postings. (I have been keeping track of views so as not to continue presenting something with little interest). According to Wikipedia, this loco was restored in 2001 but hasn't been steamed since 2006. During that tinme it pulled the Ohio Central's excursion tourist trains based in  Sugar Creek, OH.  It's current status is listed as stored non-operational among the loco collection at the Age of Steam Roundhouse near Sugarcreek, OH. Any corrections welcome.

Date: 04/10/19 05:09
Re: USA Steam 2
Author: refarkas

While OHCR 6325 occasionally pulled Ohio Central tourist trains out of Sugarcreek, she mostly was fired up for excursions or special trains.
Bob

Date: 04/10/19 09:09
Author: train671

I think it was at this location that a joke was played on David Goodheart.  He was up in the cab and was supposed
to suddenly appear in the cab and play a joke on the folks on the ground who were waiting for the "run-by" but
we on the ground conspired to play a joke on David by staying hidden.  Goodheart's response was classic.  We
got another run-by and had a fun day all the way around.  Those photo charters involving Jerry Lee Jacobsen
(owner of the Ohio Central and the steam engines) and David Goodheart was classic good times and for those
of us involved they were opportunities not to be missed.

Date: 04/10/19 10:23
Author: andersonb109

Sadly that was my only Goodhart charter. I only met him briefly. I wish I had started the hobby sooner and gotten to know him better. 

Date: 04/10/19 11:47
Author: jbwest

My favorite Goodheart story was the oh dark thirty phone call in Williams to inform me of the predawn stealth departure of the 3751 so that we could get this shot.

JBWX

Date: 04/10/19 11:54
Author: HotWater

train671 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it was at this location that a joke was
> played on David Goodheart.  He was up in the cab
> and was supposed
> to suddenly appear in the cab and play a joke on
> the folks on the ground who were waiting for the
> "run-by" but
> we on the ground conspired to play a joke on David
> by staying hidden.  Goodheart's response was
> classic.  We
> got another run-by and had a fun day all the way
> around.  Those photo charters involving Jerry Lee
> Jacobsen

I always thought that Jerry's whole name was Jerry Jo Jacobson.

> (owner of the Ohio Central and the steam engines)
> and David Goodheart was classic good times and for
> those
> of us involved they were opportunities not to be
> missed.

Date: 04/10/19 12:59
Author: johnsweetser

train671 wrote:

>  He was up in the cab and was supposed to suddenly appear in the cab and play a joke on the folks on the ground who were waiting for the "run-by" ...

Confusing statement.  What was the joke that he was going to play on the people on the ground after he appeared in the cab?  Or was suddenly appearing in the cab the joke?

>... but we on the ground conspired to play a joke on David by staying hidden.  Goodheart's response was classic. 

So what was his response?  Just saying it was "classic" doesn't tell us anything.

Date: 04/10/19 13:27
Author: gregscholl

Some clarification.  Do you have the date of this trip Bruce?  Looks similar to the one I did with the same consist and we shot the heck out of that location near the Trainmasters place(D.V.) in the afternoon.  It was a 2-day charter in which Goodheart was in charge of stuff, but it was not HIS trip as I recall.  He did however do a couple of private trips, which of course I was not invited to attend.  I believe the one you have here was a two-day weekend, where I rode Saturday and we had a yellow box car right behing the engine.  We did a morning session, then at the Depot in Sugar Creek we had lunch, then did the afternoon session winding up down there south of Baltic where your shot was taken.  We did numerous runbys.
  I only did Saturday, cause one day was enough for my tired legs(You have to do a lot of time standing on these things).  Goodheart said it was okay if I wanted to stick around and shoot Sunday.  I did a few runbys for a couple of hours then headed home.  On Sunday they started off with a passenger train consist(I presume most of the participants were doing both days so they were trying to mix it up), and I believe they did the freight in the afternoon.  I was not there to see it.  Others told me at that last spot Jerry was allowing some to run the engine, and I know of at least 3-4 people that made runbys there at the throttle.  I was kicking myself I didn't do that day!!!  So did that happen on your trip???  The trip I am thinking of was Oct 2003.
  As for 6325, it first ran in Sept of 2001, and last operated in 2004.  I do not believe it operated on the Sugar Creek to Baltic run, as those pretty much ended around 2002 or 2003.  Usually the smaller engines handled those, either 1551(original in 1989), or BC&G 13, and at the end CPR 1293.  That engine was the last to operate under the OC banner I believe, unless it was 33.
Good memories in your shot, as I enjoyed having steam 3-4 hours away, and did several charters and regular runs.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 04/10/19 13:32
Author: gregscholl

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> train671 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think it was at this location that a joke was
> > played on David Goodheart.  He was up in the
> cab
> > and was supposed
> > to suddenly appear in the cab and play a joke
> on
> > the folks on the ground who were waiting for
> the
> > "run-by" but
> > we on the ground conspired to play a joke on
> David
> > by staying hidden.  Goodheart's response was
> > classic.  We
> > got another run-by and had a fun day all the
> way
> > around.  Those photo charters involving Jerry
> Lee
> > Jacobsen
>
> I always thought that Jerry's whole name was Jerry
> Jo Jacobson.

Yes it was Jerry Jo, but most who knew him just called him Jerry.

Here is a link to what is the same weekend.  We did a video of the trip, and the same
yellow boxcar is behind the engine.  Also they sold raffle tickets for cab rides which they did at varioust stops.  I remember I won two
but just did one, and gave the other back for another drawing since I had ridden before on a different trip anyway.
http://www.gregschollvideo.com/images/6325new.jpg
Greg Scholl

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1193 seconds