Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Steam & Excursion > USA Steam 3

Date: 04/11/19 03:25
USA Steam 3
Author: andersonb109

Another well know location. Or at least it used to be. This photo was taken on a June, 2004 Trains Unlimited Tours charter on the White Pass and Yukon Railway. I had participated in one charter there previously where we photographed at this same location....the bridge at Tunnel Mountain. The routine was that due to limited space, half the group would wait at the other end of the tunnel and then swap positions. Limited space was always a concern. Forward to June, 2007 and we were no longer allowed to photograph there due to safety concerns. To my knowledge, in the many charters run there, no one had ever fell into the abyss. This of course is loco 2-8-2 No. 73. As I recall, and given the direction of the smoke, this was a back up move to position for the run past. The sun was gone by the time the train came forward.

Date: 04/11/19 03:34
Re: USA Steam 3
Author: Keystone1

Great picture.  Wonderful location.  How difficult is it to walk in there on your own?   That seems to be the key view on the line.

Date: 04/11/19 05:49

As I recall, it's not near anything. The nearest access from the railway would be White Pass Summit. Not sure the distance.  The highway goes no where near this location but the bridge is visible way in the distance from the road. Here's another photo from the same location a few years earlier in 1997.

Date: 04/11/19 07:37
Author: DaveL

ONLY accessable by rail !
Been there, seen that.....

Date: 04/11/19 13:45
Author: Keystone1

And they, no way, no how, will stop there for a picture today???

Date: 04/11/19 14:15

That's what we were told in 2007, the last charter that I participated in. Today, with the large increase in cruise ship business....and now under Carnival Cruise Lines ownership, they could care less about a bunch of railfans clogging up the route with steam photo charters. Happy I got to experience this amazing line the three times that I did.

Date: 04/12/19 12:54
Author: SD45X

2009 same thing. No way.
You could walk in on a he grade, but there are so many bear you are risking it:)

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds