Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Steam & Excursion > USA Steam 8

Date: 04/16/19 02:57
USA Steam 8
Author: andersonb109

Today's installment goes back to my home state of Michigan. Again, it's PM No.1225, this time on a charter organized by a group from the U.K. on which I participated. September 2008.  Most participants were from overseas. Mostly England. Many knew me from previous charters and one asked the following question:  "Don't you live near here?"  Yes, I responded, about 1.5 hours away. "So does it look like this?" referencing the flat farmland where our charter ran. They never drove through Detroit on their way from Chicago so had no clue Michigan didn't all look like Owosso and that there was actually a big city nearby. So now they know I don't live on a farm.  Many Europeans when they come to the States the first time are amazed as to the vastness of the country, the distances between major population centers, and of course the relatively low gas prices. They also think our meal portions...particularly breakfast, are huge. All seemed to enjoy the small town experience and their time with big engine in America. Since then, I have particitated in two more charters out of Owosso, one with a visiting engine. Thos posts will follow in order of date run. 

Date: 04/16/19 11:53
Re: USA Steam 8
Author: gregscholl

I did the first photo freight in April 2007.  Those vehicles look familiar as do the locations(Except the fog one).  Nice engine and good they have trackage to run on.
I am currently working on a Winter 1225 show!
Greg
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 04/16/19 12:31
Author: andersonb109

The location with the vehicles is at King Road on the line to Carland. The green one was (or is) owned by one of the Steam Institute's staff.  Unfortunately, the 1225 is no longer allowed to run on the line to Chesaning do to a curve deemed to tight for the loco. As a result, Santa's Village had to be moved a few years ago.

Date: 04/16/19 14:23
Author: wcamp1472

“1225 is no longer allowed to
> run on the line to Chesaning do to a curve deemed
> to tight for the loco (sic)”..

The “too tight” determination, for locos, is —- by design—- the “crunch-point” between the cab and the tender...
Tyipcally the loco chassis, if disconnected from the tender , can navigate a much tighter curve, without derailing, than the specs listed on the class’ dimensions sheets.

Railroads and builders realized that crews will ‘try anything”, so the “crunch point” concept has the crew damaging sheet metal, rather than doing more extensive damage due to either the track or the loco...

So, did the engine pass the “crunch-test” on earlier outings down this line, or are there additional limiting factors that are at work..?

W.

Date: 04/16/19 19:38
Author: jcaestecker

Pic 1 is absolutely haunting.  I love it.

-John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds