Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Steam & Excursion > When One Of These Giants Derails, You Need Plenty Of Work Train!

Date: 04/17/19 00:48
When One Of These Giants Derails, You Need Plenty Of Work Train!
Author: LoggerHogger

In September of 1953, one of Southern Pacific's big Cab-Forwards stubbed her toe and derailed on Altamont Pass in California.  This event caused SP to call out another Cab-Forward and this work train to be dispatched to the scene to make things right.  Good for us that John Harder was on hand to capture this complete work train arriving on site.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/19 00:50 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/17/19 01:41
Re: When One Of These Giants Derails, You Need Plenty Of Work Tra
Author: wcamp1472

I am assuming that the wreck outfit is on its first trip to the site, and not returning from an earlier assignment at the derailment.
It’s unusual that the derrick is traveling boom-first.  Typically, for safety, you want to be towed to the site, with the boom trailing.

But, it’s a great photo of a wreck outfit...

EDIT.....
On closer examination, the cab forward appears to be shoving the outfit, derrick first, to the site..
Which now,  makes more sense —- you would want the derrick closest to the derailed equipment.
So this is now a very rare shot —- they’re all set to get to work, as soon as they arrive....bring lots of oak blocking.....you’re gonna need it !!!

W.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/19 01:47 by wcamp1472.

Date: 04/17/19 04:41
Author: gbmott

This raises a question — how many, if any, large wrecking cranes are still in service on Class 1 railroads?

Gordon

Date: 04/17/19 05:54
Author: hot_tub

Maybe they have arrived - a few people on the ground standing very close to the rails (the one in the left corner is facing away from the train, looks like he might be heading out to the problem site).

Date: 04/17/19 06:22
Author: engineerinvirginia

There was one diesel wrecker of Seaboard vintage existing on CSX some years ago but I believe it was sold. Now that contractors bring the big hooks I don't believe there is anyone in company that can run one. 

Date: 04/17/19 06:39
Author: 2ebright

As recently as 2007, the Union Pacific had the ex. D&RGW wrecker stationed in Grand Junction, Colo; a 250 ton Bucyrus if I remember correctly. I believe it is still there and available for use. Attached pictures are of a sideswipe wreck in Price River Canyon, Utah in Sept. 2007.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 04/17/19 08:19
Author: pennsy3750

Not that they're a Class I, but Pan Am still has a pair of them.  They do still get called out every now and then too.

Date: 04/17/19 10:15
Author: Josta

Looks like smoke coming out of the crane so yes I think they just arrived on the site.

John Acosta
Palm Springs, CA

Date: 04/17/19 13:04
Re: Work Train
Author: timz

Wonder where the work train came from.
The 4-8-8-2 pulled it to Altamont then ran
around the train to shove it to the wreck?

Date: 04/17/19 15:49
Author: wingomann

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder where the work train came from.
> The 4-8-8-2 pulled it to Altamont then ran
> around the train to shove it to the wreck?

​That's what I was thinking.  I think this is just east of the WP bridge at the entrance to the pass.  It's too bad there isn't pictures of the derailment.

​As far as Class 1's having a wrecking crane, I think UP still has one.  It was used on the ACE derailment in Niles Canyon.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4459571,4460172#msg-4460172

Date: 04/17/19 17:16
Author: GoldenState

timz Wrote:
> Wonder where the work train came from.
> The 4-8-8-2 pulled it to Altamont then ran
> around the train to shove it to the wreck?

The photo appears to have been taken looking southeast, RR east of Altamont station, where the WP truss span would be very close behind him. The train probably came out of Tracy, ran around at Midway, then shoved to that location. This is assuming my memory is good about Midway having a siding?

Great photo Martin!

Rob

EDIT: fix typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/19 17:18 by GoldenState.

Date: 04/17/19 17:30
Author: timz

The pic is west of Altamont -- the curve
back there is the one at
https://goo.gl/maps/PnTMFSrHy1qSypsr5

Date: 04/17/19 20:02
Author: agentatascadero

I was thnking the wreck rain came from Tracy too, then I startes wondering if Tracy ever did have a wreck train stationed there....so,if not Tracy....where?  Would one have to go to Sacramento, or Roseville to locate that wreck train?  I'm assuming the wreck train had to come from the east side of the derailment, so not something closer like Oakland.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 04/17/19 20:03
Author: GoldenState

timz Wrote:
> The pic is west of Altamont -- the curve
> back there is the one at
> https://goo.gl/maps/PnTMFSrHy1qSypsr5

Yes, you are correct. I had forgotten about this spot with the cut at the top of the photo being US50, 580 now, and not the WP. The WP would be at the extreme left of the photo from this perspective. Appreciate the polite correction with reference.

Rob
Fremont, Ca

Date: 04/17/19 20:37
Author: kilroydiver

Perhaps this view will answer some of the questions that have come up. Waldemar Sievers was also on hand that day (Sept. 19, 1953) to capture some images of the wreck train and the damaged cab-forward.

And that is not a cab-forward seen under the WP bridge on the right.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/19 20:40 by kilroydiver.

Date: 04/17/19 22:20
Author: krm152

kilroydiver Wrote:
> Perhaps this view will answer some of the
> questions that have come up. Waldemar Sievers was
> also on hand that day (Sept. 19, 1953) to capture
> some images of the wreck train and the damaged
> cab-forward.
>
> And that is not a cab-forward seen under the WP
> bridge on the right.
>
> Dave
>

The photo posted by Martin definitely has a cab-forward pushing the train. Also, on the boom car (flat car) adjacent to the wrecker derrick there are trucks located on the near end and a tank located at the far end.

The photo that you posted definitely does not have a cab-forward. Also, the boom car is different. While trucks are also located on the near end, there is a small square enclosure, perhaps for tool storage, at the far end instead of a tank.

The difference in boom cars really cinches that they are photos of different wreck trains. A wreck train might change locomotives but it definitely would not change boom cars.

ALLEN

Date: 04/18/19 08:34
Author: wingomann

The second wrecker does look different.  Considering that the wreckers are smaller 160 or 120 ton, could they have sent two to do the job.  One from Stockton and one from Oakland?  Any pictures of how far the cab-forward was off the rails?

Date: 04/18/19 12:51
Author: Kimball

I think I can see that boom car enclosure in the original photo too?  The tank car behind it makes it difficult to see clearly, I think? 

Date: 04/18/19 13:42
Author: krm152

Kimball Wrote:
> I think I can see that boom car enclosure in the
> original photo too?  The tank car behind it makes
> it difficult to see clearly, I think? 

There is a small enclosure between the trucks and the tank on the boom car in the photo that Martin posted.
There is larger enclosure but no tank on the boom car in the photo that Dave posted.
The boom cars are definitely different.
ALLEN

Date: 04/19/19 16:01
Author: Kimball

Allen:  You are correct; different boom cars. Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0893 seconds