Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Steam & Excursion > An observation I made on Saturday

Date: 05/06/19 05:51
An observation I made on Saturday
Author: Bob3985

Saturday I had opportunities to view the movement from a couple of different locations. Having lived and worked here and knowing the locations, via my scanner, I was there to watch them come out on the Crow Creek lead to P-4 track to back down on to their passenger train. I then wandered out to Southwest Drive (Tower A) to watch their departure from the iconic location that has been documented so many times in the past as they appeared from under the iconic old C&S (BNSF) bridge headed west up Sherman Hill.

In both locations the other photographers who showed up were very courteous and friendly. But what was more impressive to me was the interest that the younger generation still has in the art of Railroading. This is so encouraging to me to know that there is still a spark of interest among those who thrive on video games and the like to actually take time out of their lives to observe and help document events like this. I only hope that their interest carries over to documenting the everyday operations as well.

One word of advice I could offer that in my day I omitted is to try and take your photos showing the scenery around it in order to identify locations. And if possible attach the information to the file or slide/print.
More importantly do not lose your enthusiasm for the hobby of railfanning. There is so much to watch for and capture on a daily basis whether it be certain locomotives or cars in a train and, what even looks best, the scenery at a location.
Thanks to all I got to visit with and entertain with a few stories and I wish all the followers to have a safe and successful journey following these two iconic locomotives.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/06/19 06:15
Re: An observation I made on Saturday
Author: cjvrr

Well said. I have my 17 and 13 year old sons with me. Figure it was a great opportunity for some bonding time. Oldest wants to be a civil engineer for railroads.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/06/19 06:17
Author: co614

Bob you make a REALLY important point and that is all of us need to do what we can to attract youngsters to railroading so we can pass the torch along knowing it will be carried into the future. These grand steam projects are the most fertile ground for planting those seeds and I'm confident that Ed Dicken's and his team are well aware and doing what they can.

Ross Rowland

Date: 05/06/19 06:39
Author: MaryMcPherson

I too have noticed a very passionate following of youngsters as I have been out and about on my travels.

While on occasion I've had them wander into frame at the last moment (caught up in the action, they just didn't notice), I encourage them instead of just being a "hey you kids, get outta my shot" grouch.  I'll give them pointers on how to get better results (your video is only as good as the tripod, for example) or location information if they are going someplace I'm familiar with.  I also do the same with kids who post on YouTube; encourage their pursuits and give little tips on how to get better without knocking what they have already done.

I get a kick out of seeing someone out on his own who years earlier I shared a location with when he in his early teens and being driven around by his mom.

The younger generations always get a bad rap; even moreso today.  Often I think those of my generation and older forget that our generation did stuff that was just as boneheaded when we were kids... we just didn't have the internet to show the rest of the planet how dumb we were!  We were lucky we didn't have the ability to give ourselves the same amount of bad press.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/19 06:40 by MaryMcPherson.

Date: 05/06/19 06:43
Author: CNWJim

First Class comment, Bob. From a First Class railroad man.

Date: 05/06/19 06:50
Author: NKP779

I noticed the same thing on Saturday, there was a good age distribution on Saturday with .many kids, females, and younger folks. There was a mom and her 12 year old boy who drove up from TX! Harriman was amazing with no less than one mile of cars parked on both sides of the gravel road. My civil engineer son estimated no less than 500 cars and no less than 1000 people in attendance. With a well behaved crowd, it was a memorable experience

Posted from Android

Date: 05/06/19 07:41
Author: shipsbell

I was very near to you, what a great show and people. I took lots of pictures so if someone who couldn't make it wants a copy let me know and I'll be happy to share. Patrick

Posted from Android

Date: 05/06/19 09:01
Author: UP6936

While I agree most were quite pleasant to deal with on Saturday, there were a few people who were rude and had some unrealistic expectations.  One of the things that I like to see at times is pictures with people in it.  It shows the draw the locomotives have for everyone.  I don't expect a clean shot without anybody all the time.  People looking at the locomotives tell the story of what is going on.  That being said the number of people who were out of Saturday was amazing and I really had a good time talking to some people who I got the chance to meet.  I will say I have never seen that many people at Harriman.  I think 1000 is a low estimate.  The cars were at least a mile on both sides of the track.

Date: 05/06/19 10:42
Author: meixel

Harriman was amazing!   I got there three hours before the 4014 and there were already around 20 cars.  I was able to get the spot I had found the day before which let me shoot over the top of the cars.  I edited most of the people out of the video.  I think I will post a second video where I panned around showing the people and all of the cars.

John Meixel
Longmont, CO

Date: 05/06/19 12:45
Author: Trainman41

I think the average non-Railfans in this country, are discovering or rediscovering, trains and railroads.  Most people never pay any attention to trains, except
when the have to stop and wait at a grade crossing.  I suppose its because most railroading is pretty mundane these days..with all the cookie cutter diesels, whose
only difference is a different color..and miles of faceless container trains, with no humans at the end of the train to wave at them.  But when they see a working
steam locomotive, something as spectacular as the 4014 and the 844, it really gets people to sit up and notice, the sights, sound and smell of these great machinery
examples from the past, is full of excitement and awe.  People can't wait to tell their Friends and family what they had just experienced, after seeing them.  Let's hope
the interest stays alive by the general public, and I am sure the 4014 will continue to surprise and entertain them, every time it makes an appearance

Date: 05/07/19 00:13
Author: Sasquatch

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I too have noticed a very passionate following of
> youngsters as I have been out and about on my
> travels.
>
> While on occasion I've had them wander into frame
> at the last moment (caught up in the action, they
> just didn't notice), I encourage them instead of
> just being a "hey you kids, get outta my shot"
> grouch.  I'll give them pointers on how to get
> better results (your video is only as good as the
> tripod, for example) or location information if
> they are going someplace I'm familiar with.  I
> also do the same with kids who post on YouTube;
> encourage their pursuits and give little tips on
> how to get better without knocking what they have
> already done.
>
> I get a kick out of seeing someone out on his own
> who years earlier I shared a location with when he
> in his early teens and being driven around by his
> mom.
>
> The younger generations always get a bad rap; even
> moreso today.  Often I think those of my
> generation and older forget that our generation
> did stuff that was just as boneheaded when we were
> kids... we just didn't have the internet to show
> the rest of the planet how dumb we were!  We were
> lucky we didn't have the ability to give ourselves
> the same amount of bad press.

You always hit it right on the head, Mary; I always enjoy your wisdom.  In this case, I wholeheartedly "second" your comments...well said!

-Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1062 seconds