Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4014-844 Greatest Chase Ever

Date: 05/09/19 13:34
4014-844 Greatest Chase Ever
Author: Copy19

Everyone and everything has rolled into Ogden amid clouds of steam and a photo and video gallery unsurpassed in the railfan world.  Thanks to today’s technology we were able to follow the whole show in real time from the Cheyenne break in run on Saturday to the ceremony today in Ogden.

The crowds everywhere surpassed anything I expected, especially in western Wyoming.  The photos of the traffic on Highway 30 were beyond astonishing.  And I vote the photo by Brian Bothun aka “walstib” of the little girls smiling in the steam at Echo as Photo of the Chase.  

Hats off to everyone who participated.  Tomorrow I will be proudly flying my Union Pacific flag in front of my house to celebrate the meeting of the rails at Promontory Summit 150 years ago.

John Bromley - Omaha

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/19 16:27 by Copy19.

Date: 05/09/19 13:43
Re: 4014-844 Greatest Chase Ever
Author: atsf121

I'll second that John, it was a fantastic event.  Glad I got to chase part of it.

Nathan

Date: 05/09/19 13:51
Author: zfan

I completely agree John.  My dad would have loved this.  As much as I enjoyed it, part of my was enjoying it vicariously for him.  

Date: 05/09/19 14:36
Author: bobdavis

John, I couldn't agree more, and thankfully I was able to see the special east of Evanston and get a few photos.  Lord iwlling, I'll be back down there again this weekend for the return trip.  I can't thank the UP and the steam crew enough for the job they did to make this happen, and my hope is that the rest of the trip will go as well as it has so far.  As a retired railroader myself, our industry needs all the positive publicity it can get these days, and it sure looks like the UP accomplished that big time with this trip.

Bob
Thayne, WY
PC/Conrail, 1968-1999

Date: 05/09/19 17:39
Author: tabernash

Wait,    Union Pacific Flag...?

Date: 05/09/19 18:59
Author: CarolVoss

This entire event was bought and paid for by UP from start to finish 5 years ago and it is their circus and their monkeys and they deserve major kudos for it and all the pleasure it has given us railfans, regardless of the venom, spleen,vitriol and gazillion posts and buckets of popcorn it has promulgated these past 5 years—and they deserve every bit of credit for pulling it off.
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 05/09/19 19:05
Author: steamfan49

CarolVoss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This entire event was bought and paid for by UP
> from start to finish 5 years ago and it is their
> circus and their monkeys and they deserve major
> kudos for it and all the pleasure it has given us
> railfans, regardless of the venom, spleen,vitriol
> and gazillion posts and buckets of popcorn it has
> promulgated these past 5 years—and they deserve
> every bit of credit for pulling it off.
> C

Good job, Carol.  Well said, all in only one sentence.  I loved it. Thanks.

Ronnie McCallay
Cañon City, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/19 19:06 by steamfan49.

Date: 05/09/19 19:14
Author: JLKirk

Carol,

Perfectly said.

Joel Kirk

Date: 05/09/19 20:09
Author: dan

It was epic,  there have been previous doubleheaders to california and 4449 long distance trips were pretty special too, those that went to the 100th anniversary did well if chasing the golden spike special, this one was really geared for fans with the slow pace thou!

Date: 05/10/19 00:37
Author: stash

UP knows how to throw a party. Well done in every way. 50 years ago I traveled to Utah for the centennial. This time I stayed home but didn't miss much with all the photos and streaming video on the Web.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/11/19 10:47
Author: CZ10

Though I couldn't make it out to Ogden, I was fortunate enough to be able to chase the special
from Cheyenne to Rawlings.  Watching 4014 and 844 coast into Harriman was just awesome.
Hoever, the bet thing of all occured while caught in that traffic "circus" between Laramie and
Medicine Bow.  I had just come out of a cut through a hill, when I happened to glance over to the
left and saw that I was side-by-side with 4014.  AWESOME!

Thanks Union Pacific!  I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever have an opportunity to see
a 4000 under steam!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds