Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Steam & Excursion > Tale of two 2-10-2s, lucky and the unfortunate!

Date: 05/18/19 08:06
Tale of two 2-10-2s, lucky and the unfortunate!
Author: slacks

Both the Datong built 2-10-2s bought by the IAIS had busy early careers. Both ended up in storage for a while but 6988 was reprieved for the present trips this summer. The 7081 however has not ran in years and is stored unserviseble I believe. These two shots are from the 2012 steanfest.  7081 is under steam at Rock Island and awaiting its turn. 6988 is turning its train on the wye at Yocam. Anyone have any info on their long term status?

Date: 05/18/19 09:30
Re: Tale of two 2-10-2s, lucky and the unfortunate!
Author: andersonb109

Looks way better with the original red wheels. 

Date: 05/18/19 11:25
Author: grizzledgary

As our individual preferences are obviously more important than anything relating to the original question asked by member "slacks" I'll go ahead and second the need for red wheels as long as the balance of the loco is painted in fluorescent orange. Certainly anyone who is capable of truly appreciating these locomotives as they should appear most likely witnessed them in their home country in regular service unlike the great unwashed masses that have to suffer with seeing them in the butchered condition in which they are currently maintained in the U.S.  I've really had to hold my nose the times I've ridden behind them after the paint and other cosmetic changes began and actually struggled to keep my lunch down when one would pop into view at the head end as it entered a curve. Thank God we were observing such an abomination from open window coaches........

Date: 05/18/19 11:43
Author: Tominde

Why is 7081 unservicable?

Date: 05/18/19 13:11
Author: RutledgeRadio

grizzledgary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As our individual preferences are obviously more
> important than anything relating to the original
> question asked by member "slacks" I'll go ahead
> and second the need for red wheels as long as the
> balance of the loco is painted in fluorescent
> orange. Certainly anyone who is capable of truly
> appreciating these locomotives as they should
> appear most likely witnessed them in their home
> country in regular service unlike the great
> unwashed masses that have to suffer with seeing
> them in the butchered condition in which they are
> currently maintained in the U.S.  I've really had
> to hold my nose the times I've ridden behind them
> after the paint and other cosmetic changes began
> and actually struggled to keep my lunch down when
> one would pop into view at the head end as it
> entered a curve. Thank God we were observing such
> an abomination from open window coaches........

I'm hoping this is satire ?

Either way, Iowa Interstate has actually done a fine job preserving the basic appearance of these engines. Sure, the wheels are no longer red on 6988 and other things have been "Americanized" on it, but I think everything that was done was in good taste. Now the RJ Corman QJ was another story....though it too didn't look that horrible.

Seems like every time the IAIS QJ's are mentioned someone comments how the wheels should be red, the elephant ears should be taken off (and how would that make the engine look 'better'?) etc, etc, and if you didn't see them operating in China you're not "truly" experiencing them. LOL Well I guess that means you can stay home and let the rest of us enjoy it! It is what it is. We should be happy that any steam locomotive is in operation anywhere these days.

As for the status of 7081, I'm not sure if it is truly "unserviceable", it just hasn't operated for a long time and probably would need a significant amout of prep work to get it going again. 6988 actually sat longer than 7081 prior to its return last year; the previous excursions it ran were in 2012 IIRC, with 7081 running several trips in 2013.

Date: 05/18/19 14:43
Author: AndyBrown

I too have been amazed at all the bellyaching and complaing that gets done about these engines.  I agree with your sentiments.

My grandma used to tell me that if you can't say something nice, it's better to just keep still. Unfortunately a large percentage of the railfan population wasn't taught that little axiom, or at least seems to have forgotten it.

Andy

RutledgeRadio Wrote:

> Seems like every time the IAIS QJ's are mentioned
> someone comments how the wheels should be red, the
> elephant ears should be taken off (and how would
> that make the engine look 'better'?) etc, etc,

Date: 05/18/19 15:03
Author: g-spotter1

As to the appearance of the Americanized QJ's:  Their engines, their show.  When locomotives are purchased by a new owner, it is that owner's perogative to alter the machinery to suit.  If the new owner is a museum with the intent of literal preservation, then the piece should be preserved in historical form in order to tell its story.  The afrementioned locomotives were aquired for a different use: Steam play on the cheap and easy; imported  "off the shelf " from China.  I like what they have done with their locomotives.  It seems like they are having a blast, so more power to them.  If you don't like them skip the experience.

Date: 05/18/19 15:24
Author: agentatascadero

I must be in the minority here, but feel that these Chinese machines have been Americanized quite well, try to accomplish that with a British steamer.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 05/18/19 20:02
Author: Trainman41

If they were my engines, all the red and yellow would have to go...along with the white wall tires.  Let's make them look like serious freight engines, not refugees
from a tourist railroad

Date: 05/19/19 12:24
Author: sarailfan

> Let's make them look like serious freight
> engines, not refugees
> from a tourist railroad

I think tourist railroads have a role to play in keeping both history and the rail industry within the public eye. As such, the appearance of the motive power plays a huge role in pulling people in; we don't know which current 15 year old is a future railroad executive!

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 05/20/19 06:55
Author: inCHI

Trainman41 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they were my engines, all the red and yellow
> would have to go...along with the white wall
> tires.  Let's make them look like serious freight
> engines, not refugees
> from a tourist railroad

Thing is in China and many other countries serious freight engines have all of that carefully maintained color and paint, and do actually get cleaned frequently.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0672 seconds