Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Steam & Excursion > .

Date: 06/05/19 20:40
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/20 22:35 by F40PHR231.

Date: 06/05/19 20:44
Re: Nevada legislature funds museum expansion
Author: callum_out

Good to see the legislature recognize the very obvious potential of Boulder City. Once they get back into
Henderson with the longer ride things should improve even more.

Out

Date: 06/05/19 22:15
Author: wjpyper

What about the one in Carson City?

Date: 06/06/19 07:22
Author: BAB

Do hope that they put some funds in Carson City too doubt if they could do much with putting in more track there due to businesses around it. Visited two years ago there and is well worth going back for another visit.

Date: 06/06/19 08:21
Author: Copy19

I used to ride my bicycle across that wye and watch the crew turn their locomotive for the return to Las Vegas.  If they didn’t have an empty to take back sometimes they  would wye the unit with their caboose.  It was all open desert with no buildings (and no trees).

John Bromley - BCHS class of 60

Date: 06/06/19 08:46

John will back me up on this, it's too bad the track isn't in place all the way to the dam. It would have made
a tourist railroad like you wouldn't believe!

Out

Date: 06/06/19 11:45
Author: Copy19

The Six Companies track from Boulder City to the dam was beyond spectacular, it was unbelievable.  When I was reading the OPs post I had the same thought about what a tourist train ride that could have been.

When I was a kid there used to be a free movie at the Visitor’s Bureau on Arizona Street about the building of the dam that was full of railroad action on that line with lots of shots of ex LA&SL and I think, OSL consolidations.  

I was lucky to see one of the last “trains” on what became the federal government line after construction of the dam was finished with a center cab Whitcomb 80 tonner creep down the hill with a single car.

I even recall seeing steam in Boulder City, one up near our house on the water treatment spur (I couldn’t tell what was except it had one of those fat UP stacks and leaked lots of steam) and an 800 on a Shriner’s special in the yard.  I have seen a published photo of two 3800 class Challengers also on Shriner’s specials in the yard.

JB - Omaha

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John will back me up on this, it's too bad the
> track isn't in place all the way to the dam. It
> would have made
> a tourist railroad like you wouldn't believe!
>
> Out

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/19 12:27 by Copy19.

Date: 06/06/19 14:26
Author: 6088

Wow, congratulations, my wife and I rode that a few years ago, and certainly plan to go back.  The people there were top notch and very friendly!

Date: 06/06/19 17:51
Author: davew833

I can envision the rest of Utah's state railroad museum rolling stock artifacts ending up here after the city of Ogden finally evicts them. NSRM already has much of what was at Heber, UT for years-- and more power to them for making good use of it!

Date: 06/06/19 18:01

Any museum that can save the entire motive power of the Jackass and Western is doing something right.

Out

Date: 06/06/19 18:19
Author: mococomike

With the new freeway bypass of I-11 around Boulder auto traffic near the museum has dwindled.

Date: 06/06/19 18:37

It's about half or a bit less, there's quite a few BC residents these days, kinda feel sorry for all the
service businesses though, the drive through business done drove through.

Out

Date: 06/06/19 19:47

Most likely true, I think people avoided BC on weekends just because of the traffic. The drop down the
other side was ridiculous, posted for 45, half the traffic doing 70.

Out

Date: 06/07/19 14:30
Author: BobP

Nice catch.

Date: 06/07/19 19:29
Author: atsf121

Exciting news, we didn’t have time to ride when we visited the dam but did drive through the parking lot and they have a nice collection. Hope to get back for a ride.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/12/19 15:53
Author: Trainman41

Too bad the Virginia & Truckee tracks can't reach the Nevada museum. I understand the last construction of the V & T stopped several miles from the museum in Carson City.
I guess they waited too long to put a line to the museum , and the "developers" bought all the land up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0617 seconds