Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Steam & Excursion > Another Early Steam Loco Part Question

Date: 06/07/19 20:02
Another Early Steam Loco Part Question
Author: wabash2800

I'm still working on my replica large scale model locomotive and have a question about another part. It's part of a fender (mud guard?) for my loco, but I can't see the detail well enough to model it correctly. It appears that in additon to the flat sheet metal guard there is a rod with a ball on it protruding down from the fender on both sides. This seems to be part of an entire detail piece wrapped around the outside edge of the fender. The entire item apears to be polished as if it is brass. I note that the Jupiter, Leviathan, etc. have the same kind of detail. I looked at photos on the internet of those locos but can't get an image close enough to see how the fender is built. I suppose I could try to get in touch with David Kloke but I don't use facebook. (I know that he no longer has the Leviathan but is building another loco.)

See the attached photos. the second, is of course, the Leviathan. I would think that welding, etc., would not be that advanced back in the 1860s so perhaps what I'm seeing is the flender edges bent and flared out with some added detail at the very bottoms of the fender? But the edges of the fenders certainly look rounded.

Edit: Now I notice the Eureka has the same kind of detail. It's got to be simple, but without seeing it closeup I can't verify it.

Thanks
Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/19 20:26 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/07/19 20:28
Re: Another Early Steam Loco Part Question
Author: crackerjackhoghead

To me, it looks like decorative brass tubing, attached to the fender, with ornate finials on the ends.

Date: 06/07/19 20:33

Thanks, that was what I was thinking too. I would suppose the brass tubing would be split open on one side and attached to the fender, or were welding/soldering  techniques that advanced in the 1860s to do that?

Victor A. Baird

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/19 20:53 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/08/19 09:13
Author: crackerjackhoghead

Victor,
  They certainly were able to weld and braze then although bare wire welding was rather ugly. It appears that the brass tubing has tabs brazed to it which are then bolted to the underside of the fender. I've marked the two that I can see with an arrow but I suspect that there is, at least, one more that we can't see.

Date: 06/08/19 12:08

Thanks much! That's the kind of close-up photo I was looking for. I should be able to do the same thing with brass in 1/25 scale.

Victor A. Baird

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/19 14:41 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds