Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Steam & Excursion > Here's Something This Steam Crew Was Not Used To On A Normal Day!

Date: 06/26/19 02:14
Here's Something This Steam Crew Was Not Used To On A Normal Day!
Author: LoggerHogger

We can only imagine what is going through the minds of the Engineer and Fireman of D&RGW #361 as they try and service and make adjustments on their narrow gauge 2-8-0 on this day in May, 1949.  Ordinarily when this crew would stop on it's run down Black Canyon in Colorado to make adjustments they were all alone and could do thier work in peace.  Such was not the case on this day as we see here.

May 31, 1949 had been set aside for a railfan excursion using the aging C-21 Class locomotive #361.  This meant that the crew now had quite a crowd around them as they tried to do their work.  We can bet that both the engineer and fireman are wondering to themselves why on earth they had agreed to take this run on this day.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/19 02:27 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/26/19 09:19
Re: Here's Something This Steam Crew Was Not Used To On A Normal
Author: pe1624

No no no, you're doing it wrong.  Are those authentic overalls you're wearing?  What does the C-21 stand for?  My son's Lionel locomotive isn't working right, can you take a look at it? 

Date: 06/26/19 12:16
Author: gregscholl

A few years ago I tried to compile a list of excursions on the D&RGW, so I could place films with dates, based on engines running, and so forth.  One of my sources was the images at the Denver Public Library.  I found my stored notes, and while not definitive may be helpful here.  When I saw Martins photo was 361 I had remember it ran a bunch of trips in the late 40's.

Here is what I have Sept 19, 1948 361 at Cimarron, CO RMRRC         Sept 19, 1948 498 and 494 At Sargent RMRR club (2 days??)  494 road engine         Broken Valve Gear near Sapinero on the 19th (Perry Photo)  361 1949 May 30,1949 361 9 cars west of Gunnison RMRRC

Looking at the above, I am thinking the photo Martin has is perhaps with the Broken Valve Gear near Sapinero.
The notes say Otto Perry image, and power was 361.

There is a listing for May 30, 1949 with 361, 9 cars shot west of Gunnison, on Rocky Mountain RR club trip.

Its possible the dates could be off, but I found it interesting 498 and 494 were shot at Sargent the same day(19th) as the 361 at Cimarron.  Perhaps the 361 was only used on the branch.

All food for thought if someone else wants to take a stab at it.

Greg Scholl
Http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 06/26/19 13:21
Author: Elesco

361 was one of only three outside frame consolidations on the D&RGW.  They were purchased second hand from the Crystal River Railroad and were all scrapped by the end of 1951.

Great photo, by the way!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds