Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Steam & Excursion > Fire patrol on the D&S narrow gauge

Date: 07/05/19 14:33
Fire patrol on the D&S narrow gauge
Author: Copy19

Here is a shot of the fire patroman who followed our Durango & Silverton train from Durango on a speeder during our stop at Rockwood in July, 2017.  I had a chance to chat with him after he walked up to our parlor car.  Little did I know how much attention the patrol would get later on.  I'm rooting for a thoughful and fair conclusion to the  litigation that has been filed against the railroad and the continued and safe operation of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge R.R.   It was a long drive to get there, but worth it because of this railroad.

(Never did find a good sit-down restaurant in Durango the two nights we stayed there.  I had assumed the General Palmer Hotel would have a dining room when I booked it, but it didn't.  We ate in McDonalds instead.)

John Bromley - Omaha   

Date: 07/05/19 15:28
Re: Fire patrol on the D&S narrow gauge
Author: callum_out

John, your restaurant choice depends on your food of choice, agree gringo food can be tough to
find.

Out

Date: 07/05/19 15:49
Author: Copy19

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John, your restaurant choice depends on your food
> of choice, agree gringo food can be tough to
> find.
>
> Out

Actually  we were looking for Mexican.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/19 15:50 by Copy19.

Date: 07/05/19 16:24
Author: Bob3985

You and Pat should come join us on the CATS in the fall. We get a whole group together sponsored by Steve who used to produe our steam crew videos.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/05/19 16:33
Author: Frisco1522

We used to eat at Francisco's when we went there, but I think its gone now.  There was another place run by two ladies that was new at that time.  It was on the second floor of a building close to the depot.   Haven't been to Durango for quite a while, so I don't know what's there now.  Of note, I had my first Sausage and Egg McMuffin at the Mickey D's before we rode the train.

Date: 07/05/19 16:57

Question for Durango locals, is Gezpachos gone? Had excellent New Mexico Red dishes.

Out

Date: 07/05/19 17:16
Author: CPRR

John I would have gone here:

https://www.nayaritmexicandurango.com/menus

What I can't believe in this town there is no restaurant serving game meats. But what do you expect from the new locals, with mostly vegan food on the menus. Different place than say 20 years ago 

Date: 07/05/19 19:00
Author: tomstp

Couple of good mexican food  resturants down town, a steak house (pretty high)  as well.  and a very good BBQ in the southern part of Durango about a mile south of the roundhouse.  I guess most towns no longer have yellow pages for the smaller towns that would have told you where they were.

Date: 07/06/19 09:06
Author: A-1

tomstp Wrote:
> Couple of good mexican food  resturants down
> town, a steak house (pretty high)  as well.  and
> a very good BBQ in the southern part of Durango
> about a mile south of the roundhouse.  I guess
> most towns no longer have yellow pages for the
> smaller towns that would have told you where they
> were.

I just typed Durango CO restaurants into google maps and got quite a few listings. If you do the same, you can click on any of them for a description, contact info, and customer reviews.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/06/19 09:25
Cracker Barrel
Author: jbwest

Hard to find a Cracker Barrel when you really need one.  I have had the same experience as John when in Durango.  Lots of hispanic places and upscale gringo places, but hard to find meat and potatoes.  Back in the old days the Strater had a nice coffee shop, but of course now it is an expensive upcale place (but they have a resonably priced real breakfast).  On several occasions I have ended up at Dennys.  Last time I was in Durango I actually had reservations at the General Palmer House because I wanted to be close to the station (you can't get much closer), but when I found out I couldn't even get a real breakfast there I moved up the street to the Strater.  But this problem does not seem to be limited to Durango.  In "urban" areas traditional coffee shops seem to be an endangered species, being replaced by a combination of fast food and expensive places.  Cracker Barrell seems to be the big exception, but its business model seems to limit it to areas where real estate and labor is cheap.  In California we have one chain Black Bear that seems to be trying to fill the void by mostly recycling old restaurants  (the original Black Bear in Mount Shasta was either an old Sambos,Denneys, or some such), but it's food is not all that good.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/19 09:26 by jbwest.

Date: 07/06/19 09:30
Re: Cracker Barrel

The "Bear" is an interesting proposition, here in Bullhead the locals hit Dennys and the turistas go to the Bear across the street.
The county health certificate in Dennys reads "Excellent" and the food is pretty good, the Bear on the other hand, not so much.
They built new stores in Omaha and Sioux City which lasted a year and closed. In Bullhead we have Dennys, the Bear, Perkins
and that place that's confused about pancakes. John's right about the more sophisticated places catering to the more enlightened
amongst us, progress you know.

Out

Date: 07/06/19 17:17
Author: andersonb109

The Orr House for a good normal steak but sadly no French Fries. (assuming they are still in business). 

Date: 07/06/19 20:06

andersonb109 Wrote:
> The Orr House for a good normal steak but sadly no
> French Fries. (assuming they are still in
> business). 

Still there:
https://www.orehouserestaurant.com/menus/

Date: 07/06/19 20:09

callum_out Wrote:
> Question for Durango locals, is Gezpachos gone?
> Had excellent New Mexico Red dishes.
>
> Out

Still there:

http://www.gazpachodurango.com/

Date: 07/08/19 08:59
Author: LJGross

Durango has no shortage of breakfast and dinner options at all levels of quality and price. You just have to be willing to walk a couple of blocks from the depot.

Lot's of Mexican options, but good old-fashioned American food as well. Even Italian - the new Mama Silva's is a good option.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Restaurants&find_loc=Durango%2C%20CO

LJGross

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0706 seconds