Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Steam & Excursion > Best and Safe thoughts for 4014 trip coming Monday 7/8/2019

Date: 07/06/19 23:38
Best and Safe thoughts for 4014 trip coming Monday 7/8/2019
Author: RailRat

I must apologize here on TO for any mis-givings and un-educated comments I made about 4014's first outing from Cheyenne to Ogden and back. I am more an artist than a mechanic., but have dabbled in both.

The fact that a Big Boy is even restored and working today is still settling in to my old mind.

Here on TO we have been treated to some very phenomenal pictures and video of Big Boy alive and in action, on the Mainline,in the very same Territory where the 4000 class used to roam. That fact in itself, is very important!

And in the very cold Wyoming and Utah environment, which I'm sure made the maiden voyage of 4014 even more difficult for the crew, let alone the diehard chaser-photographer- documenters, but made for for some very stunning pictures and video of a 4000 class steam engine, especially in this modern age of digital photography and videography.

I noticed earlier tonight a thunder storm warning passing through Cheyenne earlier this evening.
Let's hope for some more dramatic weather and fantastic video/aiudio/photography of 4014 traveling safely on the high iron,but with safety in mind, so nobody gets too carried away in the moment, as far as us Chasers go anyway.

Thank You Uncle Pete and Crew!

I hope someone here on TO safely gets some dramatic video footage of 4014 passing with a lightning strike in the background at the same time? May be asking for too much, but it's that time of the season ain't it?

PS: A Diesel helper in the consist is just plain required now days for many reasons, we must adjust to modern times.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 07/07/19 01:54
Re: Best and Safe thoughts for 4014 trip coming Monday 7/8/2019
Author: Keystone1

I want to see a posting from the overhead bridge, east of Cheyenne, on Archer Hill. If I had the dough....I’d go back out again for that one picture, then head home to work. It is mostly all down hill after that view anyway. 

Date: 07/07/19 03:35
Author: Bob3985

I am sure there will be plenty of photos from Archer. The mornings are quite docile weatherwise. It has been in the evenings when we have been getting clobbered with Severe thunderstorm and tornado watches and warnings. So there journey should go well.
Having chatted with one of the crew members they have worked on all the steam leaks and other work that was discovered on their trip to Ogden and return.
And the will only be going 100 miles to Sidney for the day and overnight stay. I am really glad they are doing the shorter trips so the general public in all the areas they are traversing will be able to visit the locomotive and railroad.
Yeall have a safe trip following the old gal. I too will likely be at Archer as that was the district my senority as an engineer/fireman was on. And I was a member of BofLE Division #115 as well.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/07/19 13:14
Author: callum_out

Having spent a number of nights in Sydney myself, nice place, the morning light out of there should be excellent.

Out

Date: 07/07/19 15:38
Author: CPRR

Only a 100 miles? Will the boiler get hot by then? Anyone know how many cars?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds