Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Steam & Excursion > South African Steam 2

Date: 07/12/19 02:56
South African Steam 2
Author: andersonb109

The first day of the tour was basically just a positioning move with limited runpasts to get the equipment from Cape Town to what Bernd refereed to as "our playground." The train ran as far as Kalbaskrall, 40 miles north of Cape Town. Power was 4-8-2 19B No.1412  and  4-8-2 19D No. 3322 with a mixed train. The 19D's were active in South Africa until as recently as 1916 at industrial facilities in South Africa and Botswana. Each night we used two buses to get us to our accommodations. The first night was at a hotel in Belleville.  Depending on the time of year, it is doubtful there can ever be any photos of our hotels as arrivals are after dark and departures before dawn so as to get the afternoon sunset  and morning sunrise shots. On this tour, we never arrived after 8:00P and got at least 7 hours of sleep each night.Remember, for this tour, it was late Fall and Winter in South Africa. Temps dropped to near freezing at night with highs approaching the mid '70s during the day.

Date: 07/12/19 05:47
Re: South African Steam 2
Author: PennsyE6

Am enjoying the photos of South African steam. Keep them coming.

Date: 07/12/19 06:29
Author: Bob3985

Your second photo is a classic showing the employees along with the equipment.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/12/19 15:45
Author: march_hare

Good to see some pics from this trip. I toyed with buying a ticket, having dear spouse fly over afterwards for some wildlife photos, but the scheduling didn’t work. 

Any word on whether they will try another trip next year?

Date: 07/12/19 16:23
Author: Harlock

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to see some pics from this trip. I toyed with
> buying a ticket, having dear spouse fly over
> afterwards for some wildlife photos, but the
> scheduling didn’t work. 
>
> Any word on whether they will try another trip
> next year?

I actually did that exact thing with Zimabwe.  Went on Farrail tour, then wife joined up the day after and had an anniversary trip that invloved a great Safari and Victoria falls, and visiting a rural school that we donated some money to. (they built a roof for their new Kindergarten wing with the proceeds.)  

It was great, but super expensive and not to be repeated anytime soon, but hoping to do the same with India at some point.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 07/12/19 17:04
Author: ns1000

I like Pic 3!!

Date: 07/12/19 21:24
Author: brc600

This is an obvious typo. How late did steam run?

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------. The 19D's were active in South
> Africa until as recently as 1916 at industrial

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds