Steam & Excursion > A UP #4014 Poll

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 07/14/19 18:06
A UP #4014 Poll
Author: 4489

Very unscientific and just for fun.

Please answer A or B..

No reason to explain your decision.

A) Would you like to see a fully restored UP Big Boy  running on the mainline, even with the engineer "leaning out way too much?

B) No restored Big Boy, therefore no engineer "leaning out way too much"

I am curious to see the results.

Thanks for playing!!!

Date: 07/14/19 18:14
Re: A UP #4014 Poll
Author: HotWater

4489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very unscientific and just for fun.
>
> Please answer A or B..
>
> No reason to explain your decision.
>
> A) Would you like to see a fully restored UP Big
> Boy  running on the mainline, even with the
> engineer "leaning out way too much?

No. I prefer the 3985.

> B) No restored Big Boy, therefore no engineer
> "leaning out way too much"

Yes. What was wrong with 3985?

> I am curious to see the results.
>
> Thanks for playing!!!

Date: 07/14/19 18:15
Author: agentatascadero

"A"

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 07/14/19 18:25
Author: LocoPilot750

I havent spent much time on steam, but have millions of mainline miles over decades of engine service on Santa Fe & bnsf diesels of all kinds. I know how hard it is to get comfortable in a cramped up cab, and I'm only 5'10. Ed looks like a big tall guy with long legs, and that might just be how he has to screw himself down into the seat to get comfortable.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/14/19 18:54
Author: holiwood

A

Date: 07/14/19 19:20
Author: CPRR

B
3985 and 844 would have served UP just as well if the monies spent on 4014 could have been spread to both of them.

Date: 07/14/19 19:32
Author: Spoony81

B. It doesn’t matter because he leans out 844 just as much as 4014.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/14/19 20:08
Author: ProAmtrak

I'm with Jack, I'd go with 3985!

Date: 07/14/19 20:21
Author: Keystone1

“A” of course.    Remember, HALF of your pictures are taken on the fireman’s side.  BTW..yes I liked the Challenger,  but...the BB is an all new class of locomotive.   And, whenever I saw the Challenger, I dreamed of what a BB would look like.   Just WHAT is it about the Challenger, that so many of you guys prefer it over the BB?    Does your answer have anything to do with the two distinctive groups that restored each locomotive?   Go ahead, please tell me.

Date: 07/14/19 20:42
Author: CaliforniaSteam

4489 Wrote:
> Very unscientific and just for fun.
>
> Please answer A or B..
>
> No reason to explain your decision.
>
> A) Would you like to see a fully restored UP Big
> Boy  running on the mainline, even with the
> engineer "leaning out way too much?

No Don't care about the 4014, another locomotive could have been repaired for way less cost.
>
> B) No restored Big Boy, therefore no engineer
> "leaning out way too much"

Yes The 3985 could have served just as well for way less cost. Still waiting for repairs to start as promosed several times.

>
> I am curious to see the results.
>
> Thanks for playing!!!

Date: 07/14/19 20:47
Author: callum_out

Neutral, I remember as a kid going through Cheyenne with my parents and actually seeing a 4000 head West
up the hill, it just isn't the same. But for those who missed those days, enjoy the 4014 but it's a shame
you've missed the show.

Out

Date: 07/14/19 21:04
Author: Odyssey

As a 70 something old fart, born in 1948, I did miss the show ... I was too young to drive, too young to understand, and too young to photograph ............ but hey
now I can drive/chase ... I do care about history, and I do capture digital images now ... its all good  ... I vote for A, CUZ its better than nothing ...
and I do believe Ed cares otherwise it wouldn't have happened ...

Just my perspective!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 07/14/19 22:01
Author: alamedafrank

I am SO tired of all this crap about Ed and the 4014; it is like the constant criticism of President Trump! Get a life and enjoy it. Frank

Date: 07/14/19 22:20
Author: robj

alamedafrank Wrote:
> I am SO tired of all this crap about Ed and the
> 4014; it is like the constant criticism of
> President Trump! Get a life and enjoy it. Frank

I think it is the steam thing.  I had a friend who would make fun of steam fans.  As off the wall some of it was, and he has passed,  he comes to life when I read the steam forum here.

Bob

Date: 07/14/19 23:33
Author: jethat

I don't care about the crew hanging out the window. What I care about is the future of mainline steam engines. All of them. Right now UP 4014 and 844 are the only show in town. When Steve Lee ran the steam program several other engine were on the mainline and he worked closely with many of them. Steve Lee retires and the new manager isolates himself from Those groups. Oddly month ago Amtrak current leader kills access to insurance and all. Right now no one but 4014 or 844 is out there. How do I measure the big boy restoration? Was going all in on the Big Boy worth it? Was Isolating UP from the rest of the steam world good for mainline steam? As of this moment I say no it wasn't. No one else is being drawn back out. The money to do it isn't happening. So far 4014 has not returned enough interest in steam on the main line to make it happen. No 611. No 4449. No 2956 and many others. Union Pacific leadership in the steam world retired with Steve Lee. I wish Dickens had maintained that because it was sorely needed. I was happy with 3985 and all the others who aren't out there to. I wish Dickens and those who dislike him would get along and cooperate for the sake of steam on the main line.

Date: 07/15/19 00:43
Author: goduckies

C fully restored and him not leaking out daying look at me.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/15/19 02:43
Author: andersonb109

A (as long as he's not wearing a yellow vest). Agree about the excessive critisism of Ed. The proof is in the results. 

Date: 07/15/19 04:35
Author: HotWater

andersonb109 Wrote:
> A (as long as he's not wearing a yellow vest).
> Agree about the excessive critisism of Ed. The
> proof is in the results. 

Which "results" are you referring to? Certainly not all the previous "issues" with 844.

Date: 07/15/19 05:04
Author: Grand87

A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: 07/15/19 05:53
Author: eldodroptop

Hotwater, should we formulate our opinion of the operation of 4449 just based on the major oops in Texas in 1984? Or would that be unfair, and an insult to the obvious good work since?

Posted from iPhone

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds