Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Steam & Excursion > ITM Auction

Date: 09/12/19 17:59
ITM Auction
Author: wag

Did any museums or operators pick up equip. at the auction or did the scrappers get it all? Wag

Date: 09/12/19 21:52
Re: ITM Auction
Author: kurt765

via user PMC @ RYPN: "The good news is the Pennsylvania RPO, MILW reefer, and two wood boxcars all sold. Everything else is lost."

Date: 09/13/19 03:41
Author: Keystone1

What was lost?

Date: 09/13/19 06:25

" F units and the coaches and pullman" are lost

Date: 09/13/19 07:28
Author: Keystone1

As much as I am a diehard steam fan.......who scraps F-units today???

Date: 09/13/19 07:38
Author: ALCO630

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As much as I am a diehard steam fan.......who
> scraps F-units today???

A commercial scrapper who was interested in the metal for scrap value and is not interested in going to the hassle of selling parts.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 09/13/19 08:09
Author: BAB

Most F units are rust buckets and hard to save now.

Date: 09/13/19 09:10
Author: wingomann

Was there any results posted anywhere?  I went to the Ozark site and they don't have anything on the auction now.  The information out there seems like it's based on people seeing bids meeting the reserve cost before the auction closed.  I wonder if they really are toast or if there were last minute bids.

As far as a scrapper not being willing to sell a piece of equipment, remember that it costs money to scrap something.  Workers wages, transportation and materials (oxy/acetylene, fuel,etc) all add up and cut into profits.  A good offer above scrap value can still save a piece of equipment.  The problem now is time.  I would bet that the scrapper has a time limit to get the job done.  There won't be time to do any lengthy negotiatoions.  Most of the people who would be interested in the remaining equipment would be museums who would take a long time to authorize the money for purchase and movement.  There may not be enought time for that.

Date: 09/13/19 19:40

Date: 09/16/19 12:45
Author: NKPBernet

wingomann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as a scrapper not being willing to sell a
> piece of equipment, remember that it costs money
> to scrap something.  Workers wages,
> transportation and materials (oxy/acetylene,
> fuel,etc) all add up and cut into profits.

I don't know the last time you saw something scrapped, but it will take a single worker with an Excavator with Metal Shears a few hours to eat equipment.

Regards,

David

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds