Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sierra Railroad Excursion Oct 24, 1959

Date: 09/13/19 11:48
Sierra Railroad Excursion Oct 24, 1959
Author: Westbound

For 2 days, the Sierra Railroad ran an excursion train Oakdale - Tuolumne City - Oakdale, the "Tuolumne Express".  Power was 2-8-0 #28 pulling the 3 car train sponsored by the Pacific Coast Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society. Although the WP baggage car ran with its doors open, someone remembered to close them during the photo stops. Around Sonora the curves were so sharp that the diaphragms between the baggage and the first coach were sliding past each other by 3 inches or so and those cars had no pull out curtains to cover the resulting gap of the steel plates. One of the passengers took it upon himself to stand nearby and as the train entered a curve, place his arm across the gap so no unsuspecting rider might place his fingers where he would suffer a terrible injury.    

Thanks to my simple camera, here are photo stops 1 & 2 and the inside cover of the train's "Souvenir Program"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/19 11:51 by Westbound.

Date: 09/13/19 12:06
Re: Sierra Railroad Excursion Oct 24, 1959
Author: lynnpowell

First photo near Quinn Tank?  Second photo near Dry Creek trestle between Warnerville and Cooperstown?  Do you or anybody else have photos of the West Side locomotive lineup in Tuolumne or the locomotives at the Pickering shop in Standard from this trip?  What was the 4-4-0 mentioned to be displayed in Jamestown?

Date: 09/13/19 12:50
Author: Elesco

Oakdale to Tuolumne in 3 hours, including photo stops, was moving right along.

4-4-0 was most likely a typo.

Date: 09/13/19 20:46
Author: Westbound

I cannot recall the locations of the pictures. Too many years ago. On the trip back to Oakdale train did stop at Cooperstown but sun was going down. Not enough light for a good picture for me. I did not go to the West Side or Pickering, just stayed with the train. There was no 4-4-0 there, it was the Sierra 4-6-0 #3 with the two shorty passenger cars. One more thing: every seat was taken on this little train!

Here's the rear inside cover of that excursion booklet. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/19 20:52 by Westbound.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds