Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Steam & Excursion > Questions on Railfanning Reading & Northern Fall Foliage trips

Date: 09/15/19 18:24
Questions on Railfanning Reading & Northern Fall Foliage trips
Author: trainmasternate

I am planning on visiting the Reading & Northern for the first time to railfan the 425 pulling the fall foliage trips. I was doing basic research on some locations, but I need a couple questions answered.
1.)  Is it easy to chase the train from location to location?
2.) For those who have experienced the trips or the route in general with other trains, what locations do you recommend? Are your locations easy to access or require hiking and parking your vehicle at a different location?
3.) Is it possible to get to the Highbridge in Hometown? Or better off avoiding this spot?

If there's anything else that I should know about the area please let me know.
Thank you in advance, Nathan

Date: 09/15/19 18:34
Re: Questions on Railfanning Reading & Northern Fall Foliage trip
Author: Keystone1

I have done the bridge about 5 times.  Realistically, it is a long walk-in for a broadside.  I plan on it being the ONLY shot heading home.

Date: 09/15/19 18:49
Author: Tominde

Traffic can be a killernywhere near Jim Thorpe.

Date: 09/16/19 14:36
Author: warren1977

PA61 out of North Reading is your chase road to Molino, where you turn onto PA 895 and follow that to New Ringgold, cross tracks and turn left onto PA443 to South Tamaqua, then RT309 into Tamaqua. RT309 North out of town will lead to Hometown, PA54 crosses here, turn left to access E. Mahanoy Jct. and the Haucks area. A right turn onto PA54 at Hometown takes you to Lake Hauto, Nesquehoning, and Jim Thorpe.
PA61 from Reading to Molino is full of traffic lights, construction zones, and 1 cop at Leesport. You will probably be able to catch up to 3 opportunities in this stretch, and also take advantage of the stop at Port Clinton.
PA895 has a couple good spots on side roads in the Molino area. New Ringgold is good, and the tracks are right beside the highway at Zehners (South Tamaqua)
Tamaqua has props for photos such as signals, tower, station. West of there starts the grade up to Haucks, follow west PA54 for this show. PA54 east to Nesquehoning runs very close to the tracks, many places to access. The KME fire truck plant in Nesquehoning is an interesting backdrop.
If you go into Jim Thorpe, my suggestion is to go to  the turntable area to see 425 get spun for the return trip. Then hustle back out of town and back on PA54.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds