Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Steam & Excursion > 4014 Tuesday and Wednesday

Date: 10/11/19 12:36
4014 Tuesday and Wednesday
Author: GreenFlag

Here's a few from many of the places that I was able to photo the 4014 last Tuesday and on Wednesday. Even though many people out, things went smoothly except for driving down into Kelso and on old 66 into East Victorville area on Wednesday. Also, they seemed to be keeping the speeds down on the train, especially down the heavy grades on Cima and Cajon they were keeping it at 20mph. Sounded like they were doing this to avoid having to set air on the train to control the speed and the GE unit was able to keep it at 20 while in close to full dynamic.
After a night in Laughlin, I left early and met the train at Nipton on Tuesday morning after it had left Las Vegas.
Second shot of 4014 departing Cima.
Third photo leaving Afton. I wasn't expecting to catch the train there, but they made an extended stop in the Canyon for servicing so had plenty of time to get there from Kelso. Also I was surprisingly able to get to the east end of Yermo before it arrived there.

Date: 10/11/19 12:41
Re: 4014 Tuesday and Wednesday

First thing Wednesday morning, caught it at UP CP159/Daggett along with many other people in a really strong wind, but clear skies. Managed to avoid getting the police vehicle that showed up and parked right in front of everyone just at the last moment before the train rolled by. This was a good location with the early morning October light.

Date: 10/11/19 12:50

First photo was a quick shot at Helendale as wasn't expecting to beat the train there after catching it at Lenwood. There were many parked freights between Barstow and East Oro Grande waiting for the 4014 to pass through. You can see the DPU of one stopped eastbound BNSF behind the train.
Second photo of the train crossing over at Lugo, the fist CP point east of Summit. When I saw the crossovers lined that way, I knew it was going to use Silverwood to get on to the "cutoff". I also knew that I wouldn't get blocked by a freight there at the last second as it seemed really busy that morning on the Cajon Sub. I saw that happen at some other locations where people were set up.
Last shot a grab shot at Mormon Rocks. There were a LOT of people around that area. The BNSF empty spine train with a KCS unit was 'pacing' the 4014 for a bit.
More this weekend, thanks for looking.

Date: 10/11/19 16:03
Author: ns1000

Great pics!!  I like Pic 3!!

Date: 10/11/19 18:28
Author: Winks

Nice ones Green Flag.  I'll be in the Gila Bend area next Wednesday to be a foamer again.

Take care buddy.

Date: 10/11/19 18:49
Author: UPNW2-1083

Great shots, Alan. Nice to see you're back in the southland.-BMT

Date: 10/11/19 22:35
Author: Fredo

Allen at least you captured part of the shadow of the freshly washed Black Police Explorer. The young officer looked freshley washed also. Hoping to get his photo on Train Orders I guess.

Date: 10/12/19 00:23

Thanks Brian and Fred. What was up with those 2 black police vehicles, what agency were they? Some people thought they were UP special agents, but I didn't think so.

Good to hear from you Jim. If I hang in for the whole trip, I'm planning on going back via Yuma and was thinking about going as far as Gila Bend or Maricopa, then head home.

I don't know if you heard, but Kevin is going to be the pilot on the run to Yuma.

Date: 10/12/19 08:16
Author: SP8595

Great series!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3478 seconds