Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Steam & Excursion > My two cents' worth on the Big Boy

Date: 10/11/19 22:54
My two cents' worth on the Big Boy
Author: oyw

Hopping on the bandwagon here, I rode along with a couple of buddies on Wednesday to see what this Big Boy craze was all about. This was my first time seeing her in person since being towed to Cheyenne in 2014. Here are a three perspectives from the chase similarly posted by others.

1) Waiting with the huge but very organized crowd at Daggett, 4014 is about to cross Santa Fe Ave and enter BNSF rails. As mentioned, after a long wait and with the train approaching, a UP PO parked at the last minute in front of much of the crowd, I suppose it is their railroad. Not to worry, I quickly relocated several yards east and it still worked out.

2) From there, we went to the hill just east of Helendale where we were surprised by the lack of people (about half a dozen even as the train approached). We did start to sweat a little as the eastbound BNSF slowed but eventually cleared before stopping. BTW, nice shot there GreenFlag.

3) With plenty of time to spare we scouted throughout the Pass, finally setting up along the I-15 freeway embankment just south of the Keenbrook connector. After being joined by TheNavigator (nice IOTD) and a couple of others, a wider view accentuates the lenght of this big beast.

In a few hours the chase will continue. Fellow chasers be prepared for a lot of folks enjoying the Big Boy, be safe and have fun.

OYW

Date: 10/12/19 00:29
Re: My two cents' worth on the Big Boy
Author: mundo

Nice shots...worth a lot ore then two cents.

Date: 10/12/19 04:34
Author: redberan4449

Well done.  Very nice locations away from the crowds.  Well worth the extra effort.  Thank you for sharing.

Date: 10/12/19 05:28
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

Date: 10/12/19 05:40
Author: Atsf814

I was almost certain your shots would be stellar. I was right!  Thanks for sharing Bob. Good to see you out there. 

Date: 10/12/19 06:08
Author: doge_of_pocopson

Thank you for helping sus be there when we can't!   B

Date: 10/12/19 08:15
Author: SP8595

Great trio!

Date: 10/12/19 08:32
Author: callum_out

Hey, glad you took time to see it and share your vision. Saw them in service a bit as a kid, it's really not the same.
But having said that, I applaud the UP for bringing it back, albeit in a very sanitized version. They were big, dirty,
and loud, all things that don't seem to be in style these days.

Out

Date: 10/12/19 09:35
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos as always Bob.  Among the best of 4014 Cajon pictures to be sure.

Rich

Date: 10/12/19 10:03
Author: up833

As people use to say in that era. We got four bits and change for that $1. Great photos. For me tho if I had been there I would have been looking for that side by side with the BNSF and that would have been the historic shot
RB

Date: 10/12/19 10:25
Author: atsf121

Spectacular photos!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/12/19 20:21
Author: TheNavigator

Very nice, especially the Helendale shot.
GK

Date: 10/12/19 21:39
Author: RustyRayls

Those are some dang nice images for only costing $0.02. I'd say we got a heck of a bargain!!

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 10/12/19 22:52
Author: donner_dude1

Real nice pictures, like the helendale one the best.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds