Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Steam & Excursion > When You Think Of This Railroad, You Don't Think Of These Trains!

Date: 10/15/19 03:09
When You Think Of This Railroad, You Don't Think Of These Trains!
Author: LoggerHogger

In recent months we have all been treated to images of classic Union Pacific's steam power at it's finest in the form of Big Boy #4014 in action.  Any fan of the UP knows that the railroad was noted for impressive steam power and long strings of either freight or passenger trains.  However, as we see here, "Uncle Pete" could even be found pulling log trains if you knew where to look.

This old, and somewhat blurry photo shows that UP was not beneath hauling trains of loaded log cars if the price was right.  Here we see UP #6063 on the head-end of a log train in Northern Idaho in the 1940's.  In this country, UP clearly moved logs as part of everyday work.

#6043 is a big 1907 Baldwin-built 2-8-0 originally ordered by the LA&SL as their #3634.  How she came to be assigned to this log hauling role in Northern Idaho is anyone's guess, but she seems to be well suited for even this job.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/19 03:36 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/15/19 14:00
Re: When You Think Of This Railroad, You Don't Think Of These Tra
Author: ChrisCampi

Neat scene and a breath of fresh UP air.(Boy do I have 4014 fatigue)

Date: 10/15/19 20:35
Author: hawkinsun

Hi Martin,   Since this could be somewhere in my neck of the woods, do you have any idea of what town this is near or what UP branch this was on ?   I live along the old Spokane International line, now owned by UP and they did use some UP steam on here, but I think they were UP 2-8-2s.   They did haul logs on here too.

I wonder if this could be on the Wallace Branch ?  That was mostly Silver Valley mining, but very well could have had logs too.  I'd guess they'd be heading toward Plummer, Idaho, or farther to Spokane, Wash.

Thanks, Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 10/16/19 04:30
Author: LoggerHogger

Sorry Craig, I don't have any more information on the photo than what I posted.

Martin

Date: 10/16/19 18:01
Author: sixbit

#4014 fatigue? Not possible!

I keep waiting for a photo-shopped scene of the 4014 pulling a passenger train eastbound around Windy Point on her way to Cumbres ; )

John Mills

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds